Slot gasket

share hints, tips and experiences
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Merlin 111 is coming on nicely and I am about to start the varnishing in the next week or so which means I come to the question of the centreboard slot gasket. The original (or at least the one that came with it) one was rubber - albeit of the shredded variety so should I try and get rubber again (where and what type) or something else (where and what type). All advice welcome as ever. As a matter of interest Chris, how is No 36 coming along and has that horse been trained not to eat chunks of the transom now you have it replaced!!! My dad was also concerned that it might be a rat problem so perhaps putting down poison may be the answer!!!!!!!! Good luck to all.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Not sure where you can get the rubber....if anyone knows I would really like to hear as I need some for another job.

For Gasket, you can use the stuff from the chandlers made from glassed mylar. You put over slot and then just cut a slit for c-board. I remember the story that someone got a 'wingnut' type award at Burton Week for fitting a new gasket and going out...only problem was that they had forgotten to cut it....he ....he.

Personally I don't like the stuff.

What I did with the 14 which I thik worked really well was to use sailcloth wrapped around a inner of mylar sheet. This seemed to be nice and stiff and thick enough to not bend double back. Of course with any slot you have to make sure there is enough room to take it so that if it does bend back it does not jam the board.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Ever thought about black silicone rubber - I guess about 1mm would be about right. See

http://www.tym.co.uk/prices&specs.htm
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

mmmmm....yeah maybe for a gasket....

what I want is something that I can make a tube with and then blow up like a bladder/balloon to apply presure within a tube, so it has got to be able to expand when under pressure.

any ideas

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Stephen Hill

Post by Stephen Hill »

Ed,

How long a piece do you need and have you tried a cycle inner tube? You would have to cut it either side of the valve and seal the ends, but you will have a ready made tube!
chris

Post by chris »

I've just scanned a page from Ian Proctors book on dinghy maintenance ('50's style!). I'll email you garry.
Sheet rubber can be obtained free from any car tyre fitters - they'll give you as many old inner tubes as you want. They have many uses when cut into strips. I used this on 507 about 15 years ago and they're still there as slot gaskets. Also you can cut them into very long strips (cut spirally) and use them to clamp awkward shaped bit when gluing. Every home should have some.

No. 36 has a new transome, Just waiting for some smaller copper nails and roves then can fit the two new boards. Some photos on..
http://www.barlowharps.demon.co.uk/page6.html
stu
Site Admin

Post by stu »

Old inner tubes from car garages? I bet some car tyre fitters have NEVER had to fit an inner tube in a car tyre. Your best bet for old inner tubes are tyre depots that do Farm or Truck tyres, and even truck tyres are now all Tubeless, and so are a huge number of Agri. tyres. If you struggle to find old inner tubes, give me a bell and I'll try and get hold of some.;)
The only canoe sailor in MY village too !

8) OK K1958
8) Mirror 34459

http://www.stuandliz.co.uk

make bow waves not chat
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Guys
For slot rubbers I normaly have a sailmaker make me up two strips of double thickness sailcloth. These have an eyelet punched in one end and are made overlong. The end without the eyelet is screwed down using a fairing plate at the front of the box. Strong rope is passed through the eyelet and the strip tensioned. It is held in place by the rubbing strip being screwed down. The aft end is finished off with another fairing plate and the excess cloth trimed off.I Have used this method on all my boats in the past and never had problems all though once I had to make a small vshaped cut across on the aft end of strips in side the box as had a maximum size centreboard in a Hornet which completely filled the case.Reason for making a v shaped cut is that if this is done correctly and the material is stiff enough it works as a self bailer at speed and will empty the aft end of the centreboard case of water.

Cheers Al
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

I have been told that a guy at Welsh Harp can help with rubber gasket material. Will let you know how Iget on.
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Think I have really cracked the slot gasket problem!! And the answer is ------- rubber pond liner. Was at a garden centre in Leamington Spa at the weekend and they had spare bits and got enough to last several seasons for £3