New Firefly "Shaped" stern bags (And the rest)

share hints, tips and experiences
Michael Brigg

New Firefly "Shaped" stern bags (And the rest)

Post by Michael Brigg »

Is anybody out there trying to find some new/replacement "shaped" stern bags. (Fitted to the shape of the stern section?)

This came to mind because in my haste to get on the water at Whitefriars last week I stuffed my bow bag into ists postion to hear a nasty rip and Pffff sound as the "Sharp as a new pin" (literally) clew pin on the boom snagged the bag.

Fortunately I live just round the corner from the Crewsaver factoty in Gosport. The bag can be rebuilt.

While I was there I spoke about how firefly stern bags (or any bags for that matter) are a dieing breed since everyone is converting to Mark4, but there are a few maniacs in the CVRDA who continue to regard retrieval of loose bags after a capsize to be a pinnacle of acheivement, which in the event of failure requires practice, and so, "new" bags.

About 18 months ago I nabbed the last pair of properly shaped and tapered Firefly bags from Hillhead Chandlery's old stock. That I was told, was the last of the line as Mrs Pink, (Widow of Mr Pink of Knight and Pink,who had had them specially commissioned from crewsaver) was retiring and in fact has now sold up the business. An enquiry to Crewsaver on the phone was unproductive as in best "little britain" style, I was told "Computer says no." Apparently denying that they ever made them!

HOWEVER, a very nice chap at Crewsaver in the management says that if 2 or 3 firefly sailors want to get together he can take the pattern from my "new" set (which have the Crewsaver logo all over them) and have a run of bags made up. This could include the side bags for Mark 2 (and Mark3 conversions that have taken the tanks out.)

Stern bags might I think be between £30-£50 each. Expensive I know, but unfortunately essential to race with. Straight bags cost nearly as much and I have to say the tapered bags are sooo much nicer and are a little bigger than the straight. (About 50lb extra bouyancy each)

A standard Bow bag (300lbs) costs £61-00 and a bigger one (@ 400lbs) would be about £73-00.

When it comes to fitting them into the boat here's a link for one way to do it. (Using Stern bag covers)

http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/dd31 ... =slideshow

Please let me know if you would be interested in getting a few bags made up. I'm going to contact the Firefly site as well to see if they might underwrite a small run of new bags.

I presume they would also fit well in other similar hulls. Albacore, Swordfish, Jollyboat and Fairey i14 come to mind.
Michael Brigg
ACB

Re: New Firefly "Shaped" stern bags (And the rest)

Post by ACB »

Dear Michael,

Please "include me in".

At the moment "Skyfly" and "Aquarius" are seaworthy, and Aquarius would even pass the scrutineer, but the only spares between them are Aquarius' ancient Fairey Marine set, with which she left Gosport in the Sixties and "Skyfly" has a small bow bag and small stern bags.

F 3163 "Aquarius",
IC K229 nameless for the time being
I14 K377 "Mercury" - long term rebuild project
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

What about...

...The Jollyboat!! :wink: :wink:
Michael Brigg
ACB

Post by ACB »

Michael Brigg wrote:What about...

...The Jollyboat!! :wink: :wink:
The President for Life has not replied to my emails or PM's! :cry:

F 3163 "Aquarius",
IC K229 nameless for the time being
I14 K377 "Mercury" - long term rebuild project
Pat

Post by Pat »

Some of us need large bow bags for Merlins too.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Put me down for a pair, please!
I had the same trouble with Crewsaver sales staff when trying to find out if any of the large stern bags still existed. They were a figment of my imagination too, apparantly!
Rupert
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Any news on these? Mine were 1/2 inflated again yesterday...
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

Rupert does that mean your bags are half full or half empty?? :shock:
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Half empty, like my beer glass...
Rupert