Cheapest method of measuring 2 pack

share hints, tips and experiences
Ed
Site Admin

Cheapest method of measuring 2 pack

Post by Ed »

For epoxy I normally use syringes and I have a range of different sizes for both adhesive and hardener.

Both of these last quite a long while as long as they don't get polluted with the other in any way.

For doing larger areas of 2-pack I use some form of beaker - often old yogurt pots, which again works fine.

But recently I was painting an IC daggerboard and it didn't use much paint, but needed quite a few coats of white primer. My problem was that the 2 pack paint does gum up the syringes, pretty much every time you use them. This meant my supply of syringes went down very quickly and it was becoming rather expensive......so I thought I would ask:

How do others measure small amounts of 2-pack?

In the end I used small plastic spoons.....which seemed to work fine, but I was not really very impressed with this as I could hardly be sure of the accuracy of measurement of the spoon as the viscosity of each part was very different.

Any brilliant ideas that I could use?

cheers

eib

I know with epoxy some people really advise using weight as a more accurate measure, but 2-packs tend to always be pretty simple 'by volume' but may or may not be by weight. Again....any thoughts?
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
chris

Re: Cheapest method of measuring 2 pack

Post by chris »

I use mostly syringes too, but I used to use 35mm photo plastic containers. They are parallel sided so I used one complete and cut another down in the correct ratio. ....Know a good photorapher by any chance Ed?
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

what a brill idea.

only question is.....do I still have any 35mm cannisters hanging around anywhere.

eib

ps will be in touch re the carbon tape.
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi What size Syringes do you need if small eg 10ml have hundreds in the lab.
I could bring you some to Roadford next time I'm up there.
Al
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Your local photo-developing shop wil have hundreds mine has if anyone needs any and does not have one nearby I'll get a load and we work out distribution!
Simples.
JimC

Post by JimC »

25mm measuring cups from the chemist...
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Why worry about sourcing all this measuring stuff which ends up sticky and horrible anyway as epoxy runs all over the place and you never seem to be able to empty a container completely. I get a load of used plastic cups from the "spring" water stations which have proliferated in the workplace (I wonder why I am not dead seeing as how I have drunk tapwater all my days) and calibrate them. You don't need to worry about measurement - it's a ratio you need. So fill the cup with water to the level you think you'll need for the job, and mark it off with a black felt tip. Measure the water and divide by 6 and multiply by 5. Tip all the water out and add that calculated volume to the vessel and mark the line. Dump the water, dry the cup and fill with epoxy to the lower line (5) and add hardener to the upper line (1) giving the 5:1 mix. Mix well and use - dump the whole thing when you are finished. I also use the very small plastic UHT milk containers that you get from coffee dispensers in motorway cafes etc for mixing small amounts where I reckon you can judge by eye closely enough for hole filling etc. The wooden stirrers supplied are good too for mixing.
Rich

Post by Rich »

To measure small amounts of expoy for small glueing & filling jobs I use the double ended plastic measuring spons you get with kids cough mixture (5ml one end - 2.5ml the other), though these are probably not much use for measuring 2 pack paint unles you need a minute quantity.
Rich
Shanty Man

Post by Shanty Man »

The old 35mm film containers work fine on small ammounts because they are vertically sided and you can scratch a scale on the outside to get your proportions right. Stick a nail head in the left overs so you can pull it out when set so that you can reuse your precious container.
The Glass Fibre Shop in Houndslow used to sell a good range of sizes in marked mixing pots that were great for medium size quantities.