Merlin Rocket 2127 Sorceress

share hints, tips and experiences
dave

Merlin Rocket 2127 Sorceress

Post by dave »

Hi

I have just aquired the above MR which is need of a lot of TLC. First impression is that it needs some new planks and transom not to mentopn decking has anybody any tips they can pass on would be most grateful

Dave
roger

Re: Merlin Rocket 2127 Sorceress

Post by roger »

Dave,

Chris Barlow and Garry Rucklidge are the resident Merlin salvagers i am sure they will be along soon. I suggest a few pics will help them with their advice.

Roger
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Dave, your new acquisition was built by Anderson Rigden & Perkins of Whitstable in 1968 to the Michael Jackson Superstician design as one of the sister ships to my "Flower Child" no MR 2062 she will have been built using Western Red Cedar (Not Mahogany and Brunzeel Plywood and they used resourcenol glue which means any surviving glue joints should be ok and the surviving wood should be sound the deck ply was gaboon and light weight! One of her builders is still around at Whitstable YC - David Proctor. (No relation to Ian.).
As to the resoration work as the previous poster has suggested there are several experts who post regularly and if you are able to upload some pics I am sure it will help.
Simples.
dave

Post by dave »

Hi Guys

Thank you for your responses

Dave
Pat

Post by Pat »

Where are you based Dave? You may be near enough to meet someone at a club or an event and see other boats.

Pat (Merlin 2121)
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

There is a thread on re-decking I posted a few weeks ago. For re-planking Chris Barlow is the man as I have never done it.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Maybe the best start would be a detailed description of the current problems (so far found) along with lots of nice photos.

Once we have those, we can start thinking about the best ways of helping.

My first bit of advice is that if you really need to remove decks and transom....and some planks....you are going to have to think a little bit about how you are going to keep it all square whilst doing the work. Its very easy to remove the transom and find all the aft planks spring apart like a spring flower.

But lets see some photos and a list of tasks and we will see what we can do.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
chris

Post by chris »

New transoms and planks are not too difficult if you can work accurately. It's important not to change the shape of the hull though! First step in making a new transom is to make a very accurate template* out of hardboard or similar and brace the rest of the hull very well before you remove anything. Then... ask again!

* this template will be the outside shape of the transom plus planks and then needs modifying before it is much use in making the new transom.
dave

Post by dave »

Hi Chris

Thanks for the advice. I should be getting to boat home on friday where I'll be able to have a good look and take a lot of pictures to put on here.

Regards
Dave