C section masts

share hints, tips and experiences
Pat

C section masts

Post by Pat »

I gather from the Lark class that the C section mast is being discontinued. The class is trialling the Kappa as a stronger alternative having had problems with crumpling masts. Does anyone know what other classes which use the C section such as the Firefly and Solo are doing?
davidh

Re: C section masts

Post by davidh »

Pat,

this is not the first time that the C (not to mention the wonderful D) have been threatened with the chop. It was tried back in the 1980s, with the alpha+ being touted as the replacement.

Options are.... lay in a stockpile or else - go to superspars (a better product anyway)

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I'd not heard this - there were no rumours around at Restronguet last week. If I remember rightly, it was the SSM1 mast that was made as a copy of the C, so maybe that would be the route to go. I'd have though that Selden would be shooting temselves in the foot with this one, though, as there are loads of Fireflies being built currently - how many masts does it take to break even, I wonder?
Rupert
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

I have no real idea these days, but perhaps the die is worn out and Alcan or whoever it is these days wants funny money to re-tool, years back I remember Barry Perry (Then CEO/MD of Proctors.) bemoaning the short life of extrusion dies - 500 tubes? I am sure that if they can see the business the Lark?firefly class builder can get a die made and have the tubes extruded and tapered, then fit out themselves it's hardly rocket science, Allen Brothers may be interested they have a rather neat automatic weld tapering jig., and make good masts. If you have never seen the extrusion process in operation its quite dramatic, comes out all bent and hot, though most masts tubes are cold extruded (The heat comes from the process (Work is heat as Newton - or was it Boyle? Put it.) and they grab it at both ends and pull! (Or did!). And it comes out straight and cool. Why look for an alternate if you can get a Chinese Copy - saves the existing boats having to upgrade or the existing masts becoming collector items! It's hardly a high volume/high profit item for Seldon compared with their other business is it.
Simples.
Pat

Post by Pat »

re: laying in a stockpile - I'm told there aren't enough new C section masts to even stockpile!!
davidh

Post by davidh »

Pat,

simple.

tell sandy to keep the stick shaped thing pointing up at the sky and your masts will last 'for ever'!

Hohohoho

D
David H
ACB

Post by ACB »

So...I have to start treating the ancient and twice sleeved Renolds woodentop with greater respect...?

F 3163 "Aquarius",
IC K229 nameless for the time being
I14 K377 "Mercury" - long term rebuild project