Rigging question?

share hints, tips and experiences
Randles68

Rigging question?

Post by Randles68 »

Hi,

I have a rigging question... My dinghy (which is yet to be identified) has a round hole at the base of the mast which fits into the deck fitting which is a round peg ( no surprise there i hear you say). There are 2 shrouds and a forestay. The only problem is that the mast can be turned by hand so it could rotate slightly as there is no pin to stop it. I have not sailed it yet so is this set ok or shlould I find a way to lock the mast.
Many thanks.

I have tried to attach a picture of the dinghy incase it can be identified. I have learnt that the centre board casing has been modified when someone fitted a larger centre board.
Attachments
ding 2.jpg
(32.89 KiB) Downloaded 560 times
davidh

Re: Rigging question?

Post by davidh »

To help identify your boat, can you give us the 36 24 36... ie, the vital statistics. length overall and beam should be enough.

That way we can all race each other to the answer (boat identification being a highly competitive sport on here).

I have my answer ready but would want confirmation of the dimensions first!

Cheers
David
PS- looking at the picture, the boat looks very nice and in good condition.

Where are you and where do you sail?
D
David H
Randles68

Post by Randles68 »

Hi there,
It is aound 11'6 LOA and 5'2 beam. The hull and deck is grey GRP with a green line below the deck . One of the owners fitted a fireball centreboard which was then removed and a smaller wooden one fitted so please ignore the centre board casing as this is not the true size.

I live in Cornwall so hope to sail in the Fowey area.
Attachments
ding 3.jpg
(43.75 KiB) Downloaded 537 times
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Possibly a Mowgli. Has it got a running stick-man emblem on the sail? If not is there any other emblem on there?
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

The possibility of a Mowgli has already been discounted by Laser Tourist in a previous posting on the same boat from August'08 "
Can you identify this boat???? PLEASE
You thought is was a Mowgli then as well Nigel but LT said:-
This boat is definitely NOT a mowgli (the mowgli had a stylized young boy running as a sail logo and a clever inbuilt glassfibre spinnaker bucket ahead of the mast , along with a self bailing double bottom) ...
The mast arrangement and the Foredeck and breakwater look far to unique to leave room for doubt and it does look familiar. The mast arrangements also look to be rather recognisable.

If the gooseneck is (or was) only capable of movement in a single plane, then the answer to your rigging query is that the mast was designed to rotate in order to allow the boom to move in the Horizontal plane. This might also explain the abscence of spreaders, which of course would be impossible with a rotating mast.

The gooseneck arrangement is not clearly seen and looks from here to be a bit of a bodged repair (forgive me if its your own highly adapted modification!) and the boom doesnt seem to match the mast. Your (Curlew? Ibis?) sails on the previous posting as noted don't look original either (odd creases, no cunningham adjustment, no number, faded symbol and no makers marks or badge, quite apart from the odd batten positions) but no matter if they work well on the boat.

Finally the boom seems different to the mast, which is a little unusual.

I think this boat should have a rotating mast, similar to an original Reynlds (Firefly) mast, so unless you have a universal joit at the goosnech I would advise against "locking" the mast.

If the Gooseneck is universal then it's my guess that the "lock pin" is mainly to stop the mast from jumping of the deck in the event of your rig being too loose.
Michael Brigg
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi Michael,

wow! what a memory you have. At least I was consistent :D
davidh

Post by davidh »

Nigel,

tread very carefully else Mr Briggs will be back to singing in latin!

Randles68- are there any builders plaques on the boat or any other identification that would give you a clue as to the boat's age?

I agree that the Mowgli was a fair call, as could have been an early mk 3 round bilged |Gull.

But then you look again - that really is 'round bilged' - there is little evidence of any flatness in those after sections - which could suggest that the boat hails from abroad. Over to you Laser Tourist in France!

D
David H
Randles68

Post by Randles68 »

Hi all. As for any other markings or plates on the boat, the only sticker is on the transom which is the Gul sticker. I don't think it is a Gul boat myself. The grey hull and deck and the green stripe is unique to a class of boat. As for the rigging, I suspect as you do that it has been changed over the years. Maybe a bigger rig was added, considering someone went to a lot of trouble to fit a bigger centreboard with all that work needed to extend the housing. I am thinking about replacing the mast,boom and sail for a matched set off something else. Do you have any suggestions would I could use?
Regards
randles68.
JimC

Post by JimC »

davidh wrote: as could have been an early mk 3 round bilged |Gull.
Definitely not!
Randles68

Post by Randles68 »

Do you think I could rig the dinghy using an alloy one piece rig from a mirror dinghy, they are about the same size boat I think?
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

That would have been my exact suggestion. Lots of these about as well has the mirror hulls have a habit of breaking up as their creww grow bigger! (but most of the 2' hand rigs will be for gunter rigg. Personally I prefer these anyway. (more bits to play with) but the keener "adult" mirror sailors want to look cooler in a bermudan rig 8).
Michael Brigg
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi all,

The mast looks fine so maybe just pick up a boom and sails

For sails & booms or if you really want an alternative rig, I would suggest do not be to prescriptive but see what comes up cheap on ebay. You may even find buying something unrepairable and canibalising it as the cheapest option. Anything 12 foot or less will probably go on ok. Just make sure that if you pick up a mast it is stepped on the deck as yours appears to be.

Go a bit smaller if you want a more sedate sail. I did see some Enterprise training/storm sails on there the other day and there are usually lots of booms. Just compare the measurements and off you go.

Michael singing in latin? Is he a Steeleye Span fan? It would explain trying to look cool in a mirror :twisted:
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

OFF TOPIC ALERT!!!!

Nigel Said:-
Michael singing in latin? Is he a Steeleye Span fan? It would explain trying to look cool in a mirror

Nice one Nigel, or should I sing "Gaudete Nigel"

The crossword puzzle answer I presume would be "All round my Hat" where the Band "Look Cool" reflected in Fairground mirrors on the Album cover. The final track being "Gaudete." :) :?:
hat.jpg
(42.51 KiB) Downloaded 296 times
Michael Brigg
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Deeeeeeeeeep. man!!

sing aloud lets joyful be, whilst with youth we're burning.........(or not as the case may be :cry: )
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

This being a boat site, maybe we should exchange Gaudete for Graduete...
I am struggling on this boat - it seems really familiar, but I can't work out why.
Rupert