Finally Finished

share hints, tips and experiences
Rich

Finally Finished

Post by Rich »

Well it's taken me 2 years on & off (more off than on) but the restoration of Phantom 499 is pretty much finished. A few small issues such as leaky self bailers still to sort out but otherwise she's good to go. For those interested then pictures can be found by following the below link:-

http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d45/okmothman/P499/

I'm guessing P499 is 30-35 yrs old so it's at least within the spirit of of the CVRDA if not stricty within the rules. At least now it will give me time to take my true CVRDA boat (Solo 1167) off the water and do some much needed repair work. I just hope the Phantom doesn't prove to much of a handfull for my meagre sailing skills

Rich
Rich
Rupert

Re: Finally Finished

Post by Rupert »

Nice job, Rich! As for the sailing, just start in the light stiff and work your way up as confidence builds.
Rupert
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

She does look great Rich, but I would question the age. My boat, K88, is on record with the class as being first measured in 1973, making her 36. If you contact the class secretary they do have most boats on record and can help you find out your build date.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Rich

Post by Rich »

Hi Nessa, according to a post on the 'Classic' part of the Phantom forum sail number 808 was first measured in the winter of 1978, so I was guessing that would make 499 around 1976, but I will make a post over there and see if I can find out more info. I think that there was a goodly number of Phants bulit during the 70's but I would imagine that more than a few have already made their way to the great dinghy park in the sky.
Rich
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Yes, too many, more's the pity. Where are you Rich? will you be doing any of the classic phantom events?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
bert

Post by bert »

Nessa,
Are there any classic Phantom events this or next year?.
I haven`t seen a lot of discussion about this on the forum for 4-6 months
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I don't know bert - they did have a prize for first classic at the Inlands and I expect there will be one at the Nationals. When they were invited to Whitefriars they were apathetic to say the least. Next year I will try to get a classic start as part of the phantom open at Hunts.

They did talk about it a lot, but not much has happened :cry:
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World