What sort of a job.....

share hints, tips and experiences
Garry R

What sort of a job.....

Post by Garry R »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0317830592

A very early wooden masted Enterprise not a million miles away from me and if you have a look at the photos on the advert you can see the rot. How difficult a job is it to repair the outside ply on an Enterprise especially in the centreboard region? Obviously requires open hull rather than keyhull (Ho! Ho!) surgery. Any previous experience of doing this anyone? All my work has been on clinker/veneer hulls rather than ply sheets and wondered what the particular problems might be apart from it falling to bits on the way home.
roger

Re: What sort of a job.....

Post by roger »

Garry in comparison to clinker or veneer they are quite easy as long as the frames are sound. Its just a matter of replacing one peice of ply with a new bit and gluing it to the (sound) frames. With an ent which has no built in buoyancy and you can get to both the inside and outside I would say you would find it a peice of cake.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Re: What sort of a job.....

Post by Rupert »

I'd agree with that. If the rot is in the hog or board case, then the problems are the same as with the boats you've done before. Otherwise, just make sure you get the good edge (there always seems to be a better join on one side) of the scarph on the varnished side. Paint hides epoxy very well...
Rupert