Trolley/Trailer Material

share hints, tips and experiences
Guy

Trolley/Trailer Material

Post by Guy »

I am in the process of restoring a Flying Dutchman cradle style trailer and need to source some of the material for covering the surface of the cradle that has contact with the hull. Ideally the non water retaining stuff. Any ideas for suppliers gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance

Guy
JimC

Re: Trolley/Trailer Material

Post by JimC »

Guy wrote:Ideally the non water retaining stuff.
Astroturf perhaps, but in the past I've used rubber car mats from halfords...
Google comes up with this which loks interesting... http://www.asgoodasgrass.co.uk/shock_pad.php However about 50 quid for trailer padding feels like a lot!
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Astroturf doormats seem to do a good job. They feel like they will damage the hull, but I've not had any trouble.
Rupert
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

Hi Guy,
nice to hear you are making progress. Astro turf doormats are what I have used on my FD and Finn and as pointed out allow the water to drain without causing problems which can occur when moisture is held against the hull by a wet carpet. It does not scratch, and the only downside is that it picks up weed if you allow it to. A good quality contact adhesive is all I have used to secure it to the cradles.
Are you going to bring the boat to Roadford in August by the way?

Trago was doing mats last year for about £4 each and the FD used four to cover both cradles.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
Guy

Post by Guy »

Many thanks to Jim C, Rupert and Brookesy for the sound advice. I'm off to the hardware store, alas not Trago's due to the distance involved.
FD GBR233 is ready to go at worthing Sailing Club with all the jobs jobbed. Just waiting for suitable weather for a shake down sail to make sure I don't create another list of things to do by breaking anything. Sunday was the day until it startd gusting 34 mph.
Roadford at the end of August sounds good provided I can deal with the work stuff in the run up to it. I've got a cross channel trip in for early August in a friend's Hillyard so things may be tight.
Thanks again for your counsel and support
Yours Aye
Guy