share hints, tips and experiences
Garry R

Re: Enterprise - again!!

Post by Garry R »

Perfect - the project can advance!!
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Long batten length? or is that up to you?
mcyotty

Post by mcyotty »

Sorry Gary, I thought you had the long batten. Just been out to the garage - long batten measures 102". Any other questions/help phone 01259 742437 over the next couple of weeks as the Ovington built 19583 is going up for sale. Any of the old Forfar Ent sailors interested?
I remember the good old days with Gilbert Robertson and his two formidable sons, Stewart and John, winning all before them.
Bob
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

From my mate:

"Enterprise panels and position of floor battens,

Class rules specify that the bottom panel is at least 7.3mm thick this was a conversion from imperial measurements 9 mm will do 6 mm will be out of class

Floor battens Short one starts 204mm from the inside of the frame of the transom and is 1.440mm long finishes at the centre of the forward thwart in the forward position

Long one starts 834mm from the forward face of the transom frame and is 2.604 m long according to the class plans drawn in 1974 the year that the 17000 era boat was built

Best wishes I don’t have access to the programme that the questions were possed. They should both join the Enterprise class association log on to our webb site and join.

Robin class area measurer and long time member"
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Mmmm

The number of Ent is 1713 (ONE thousand seven hundred and thirteen) not the 17000s!!! It was built in 1959 and was called Chinook.
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

These are the same measurements (converted to inches) that Bob has given as McYotty except that the distances from the transom for the long and short have been transposed. From my boat I can see that McYotty's are the correct ones as the long batten position can still be seen where it was removed from the bottom panel. Thanks for the clarification on the panel thickness. 8mm was original but you can't get it now!!
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

screws which have obviously corroded and are blowing off the filler and overlying paint.
In my book that has to be "Nail sickness" or Dezincification. Its pretty terminal and the remaining screw is porous and brittle. Just a focus for rot, and best femoved and replaced with the next up thickness. Sorry, I think the Job just got a bit longer. :cry:
Michael Brigg
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Am trying to figure how to inject epoxy under a small area of delaminated ply on the deck of the Enterprise. I can hear that it isn't sound when I tap it and it moves up and down a little. I think that cutting a lengthways slit and lifting it will be the best way but it is keeping the epoxy warm and runny as you inject it is the tricky bit. What have others have tried. It's just a silly bit I have missed. At least I can get a cramp onto it with a bit of parcel tape backed ply to keep it well pressed down. Plenty of syringes at work with different needle diameters may do the trick. I suppose too that using the slow cure hardener would give plenty of time to inject, warm it up and press up and down to let it flow into the far reaches of the area. Any suggestions.

Pictures below to see current state.

Also not sure what the profile of the rubbing strakes should be where they meet the transom. Should they be squared off or is there a taper towards the stern over the last couple of inches? The old ones I took off were buggered!!
Attachments
enterprise 2.JPG
(193.08 KiB) Downloaded 240 times
ENTERPRISE 1.JPG
(187.87 KiB) Downloaded 242 times
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Years ago (When you boat was young.) they were just sandpapered round and smooth at the bow and stern no attempt at a taper.
Simples.
ent228

Post by ent228 »

Hi all,

Just looking at these pictures brings back memories!

I had E228 with original cotton sails and also a spinnaker...however I digress

The real reason I'm writing here is to ask why on all ents do the deck knees finnish short of the stringer. On my old boat I replaces all the knees with new ones because the bottom ends had started to push through the plywood creating lumps on the outside. Probably put the boat out of class but I was only 14 at the time.
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

If you had a spinnaker it was already out of class any way.
I remember the class trying to get Jack to lengthen those knees on the pland, but Jack was consistant in his resistance to any critisism if nothing else.
Simples.
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Gary, picture below should answer your question, boat was built by LLoyd Walker.
Copy of Ent 04.jpg
(171.34 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

The picture also shows the period when Jack Holt lost his vice like grip on the class, and the front centre thwart could be moved back to make the boat rather more comfortable to crew in the originals footballers shin pads were de rigeur.
Simples.
ent228

Post by ent228 »

The pic above has nice long knees I assume the class rules were relaxed when this one came out.
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Also a wide haimsheet horse as i said Jackhad lost his grip on the class and ir was morphing from a DIY OD classs into a fine racing OD.
Simples.