Enterprise - again!!

share hints, tips and experiences
PeterV

Re: Enterprise - again!!

Post by PeterV »

It was a nice boat. I sold it before moving from Bristol and now I'm wondering if I should buy another! Very CVRDA elifgible, built 1974 and very competitive too. Certainly much easier to do well in than the Finn. Perhaps it should be on the handicap bandit thread!
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

On the Ent many of the brass screws have been put in very neatly with something like screw cups. The holes for the screws are recessed and then these little brass insets are put in before screwing the eg.thwarts in place. However a number are missing and it would look so much better if they were replaced. Anyone know where you can get them these days. I have to stress these are not the brassy screw cups that every hardware shop has in stock. They are about 1/4" in diameter, solid brass, fit flush into the timber and are countersunk to take the screwhead.
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

There is an old fashioned undertaker in Petersfield who still makes his own coffins I'll try him next week.
Simples.
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Have been out to measure - it's a 3/8" diameter screw cup.

on ebay search "turned inset brass screw cups" and you'll see the type of thing I mean. Don't seem to be able to copy the link.
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Simples.
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Ok - now nearing the point where some covering up of the plywood is required but have never done painting of a dinghy before - always varnish. Do I seal the new ply and the back to wood hull with G4 or do you just start with a primer. It's going to be International paint - one pack polyurethane Squall Blue and I have the appropriate undercoat. It's the sealing of the wood I am concerned about.
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

It's not copybook but I was taught a couple of coats of varnish first, - first one well thinned - and then when rubbing down and you hit brown as it were you have not got back to bare wood, the paint always seems to cover better too. Hope its warmer for painting varnishing than it is where I am!
Simples.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

For the Marauder I am thinking a couple of coats of Dulux weathershield primer, then the proprietary Blakes undercoat, then whichever Blakes top coat I got cheap on ebay.

It is not warm here in the Fens, but I doubt it is as cold as Denmark. Though surely all the hot air filled polticos rammed into Copenhagen are warming the climate a little?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi Garry,

if you are still looking for some plans see:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ENTERPRISE-SAILIN ... 3358a94dbf

Nigel
david r

Post by david r »

Hi Garry
Welcome to Enterprise sailing
IMHO may I suggest that you seriously consider the following - (if not too late)
1) Move thwart back to central position otherwise crew will mutiny
2) Fit forward buoyancy tank (not bag) but ensure tank in rearmost position of the two - unless you want to become a submarine when full of water!
3) Fit two large hatches in forward tank
4) Fit largest possible transom flaps
5) Fit 2 extra large self bailers (elvstrom/andersen type)
6) Fit vertical jib cleats mounted on minimum m/ment from centreline they should overhang into cockpit, can build deck out to take track, jib cleats mounted flat on deck are a capsize waiting to happen - though vertical ones can lead to fist in helms face if released with big flick !
7) Cascade Kicker & c/ham best led aft each side to exit to a cleat on knee between seat slats ideally placed for helms front hand
8) Outhaul on boom for crew to adjust
9) Centreboard - rubber doorstops plus essential loop/strop from 25 or 50mm toestrap webbing
10) M/sheet track - fix in centre - no adjustment needed, boom should work on barn door principle with good kicker tension

All I can think of for now - do pm me if you require any help - I have sailed ents on/off for 40 yrs
Used to sail - 2001/15938/18958/20746
Regards
David Rollinson
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

David from memory - we had E150 & E2086 that is excellent advice, it was only when Jack (He was never able to accept it possible he was less than perfect as a designer.) sold the copyright that the thwart got moved aft and the class became crewable! Still great boats.
Simples.
Pat

Post by Pat »

David's comments about submarines reminded me of the Shearwater 2004 event when I capured Jon Rawson's Ent capsizing at the gybe mark, recovering, sailing off downwind and then susequently submarining until only the mast and sails were visible above water - still sailing along and the crew still bailing :lol:
Video is too big to upload though.
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Ent now G4'ed and ready for the fiddly bits!!
Attachments
IMG_0561.JPG
(104.92 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
IMG_0560.JPG
(121.43 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

G4 is a Godsend in snowy weather!! Picture of my house 2 weeks ago!! G4 still cured OK!!!!
Attachments
IMG_0535small.jpg
(61.77 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

O how I envy that state of preparedness!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World