shroud, dead eye, floor and other...

share hints, tips and experiences
tégé

shroud, dead eye, floor and other...

Post by tégé »

Hello,

On my 1938 clinker dinghy, I want to impove the fixation of the shrouds. Do you think I can put a bottle screw (turnbuckle ?) or a little dead eye ?

Another question : there is a brass plate with the boatbuilder name, the year, etc...
But There is another plate, an oval brass plate, at the rear, on the coaming, but there is nothing on. According to you, what is usually imprinted on a such plate ?

Finally, the floor is recently hastily rebuilt. What kind of floor is usally is these dinghies ? painted ? planks with a little chink between each plank ? Do you have a photo of a classic floor ?

Thank you for all your advices !
(and I apologise for my english !)

Tégé
Ancient Geek

Re: shroud, dead eye, floor and other...

Post by Ancient Geek »

Your boat deserves the best!
For the flor I attach a picture of a just completed total rebuild and the new floorboards, the grid is easily made there are several Far East firms who offer it by the sq metre the yard bought it by the sq metre and made the outside frames all in teak - heavt floor board a good way of adding weight if you under clas min weight even with correctors!

The Blank oval could have been there for the name yard number etc of the boat and simply never got used. You could engrave her name and home port on it!

As to the shrouds I would have though the traditional lashing would have been mnore original, a lot cheaper and rather less damaging too. In the 1960's quite a lot of UK Racing Dinghies used this.
Attachments
Flower Child Floor boards.jpg
(64.03 KiB) Downloaded 458 times
Simples.
tégé

Post by tégé »

Thank you !
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Hi Tege,

Agree on the shrouds. Good quality fixings to the hull to prevent loosing the shroud, so bolt the fixing plate, then a traditional multi looped rope should do fine. If you prefer bottle screws, do make sure they are locked and fixed with wire as traditional rope or wire will try to unwind under tension!

I dont agree with the teak lattice. Yes its nice but it would look completeley out of place, its the wrong style, wrong country of origin and wrong construction

In these boats, the floor boards were weighed as a part of the boats handicap, so there is no point in cutting to the bone unless you have to.

My clinker of similar age to your own, has floor boards. I think they will look nicer here.

Here is a picture to give the impression,
IMG_1170 Floor board in.jpg
(136.83 KiB) Downloaded 369 times
Michael Brigg
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Have to agree with Mr Brigg on the bottom boards - much more British, and less of a pose.
Rupert
tégé

Post by tégé »

Thanks a lot for your advice, and the photo. Our boat ar similar (you can see mine in the topic "boat identification, trott".

I agree with you about teak, it is nice but not for the age of the boat, I think.

The hull of my boat is mahogany. Can you tell me what is the wood I have to use ? Douglas ?...
How is your floor about the wood ? can you tell me width and thickness too ?

Thanks again for all the different advices.

Tégé
tégé

Post by tégé »

...another question : can you tell me or show me how the floor is made below. The scace I have between each floor timber, fastened to the hull, is about 60 cm, making necessary a thick floor (actually +/- 18 mm). Perhaps I have to put intermediate floor timber, allowing smaller floor. In such case, where the timber need to be fastened ? To the hull ?? or to the floor ?

Thanks again

(I hope I'm clear...It would be easier to me in french, but It's a good way to improve my english !)
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

I'll admit that the floor is very decorative but it is also as light as the solid plak version, drains well and is non slip without adding non slip finishes and VERY traditional as a visit to HMS Victory and her replica row boat will show. No harm in tiddly bits!

As to how to do any floorbards, what is important is that what ever the floors are, they only bear on bits of the hull that are strong enough eg., Hog, ribs and floors not the planking/skin.

Michael Briggs picture shows a planked floor very well.

Michael? it looks as though the bare deck beams were a later addition?
Looks very like our family Norfolk Dinghy of long ago?
Simples.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Looks like she is 1/2 way through a redeck? Lovely boat.
It might be possible to find more on making bottom boards on the wooden boat website http://www.woodenboat.com/ where they spend hours discussing such things, or in a back issue of one of thier mags.
Rupert
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

another question : can you tell me or show me how the floor is made below. The scace I have between each floor timber, fastened to the hull, is about 60 cm, making necessary a thick floor (actually +/- 18 mm). Perhaps I have to put intermediate floor timber, allowing smaller floor. In such case, where the timber need to be fastened ? To the hull ?? or to the floor ?
My boards are made of what I think is 1/4inch thick english hardwood, Oak I think. They are varnished on top but underneath appears to be left with a porous, possibly preservative primer. Not sure if this is normal practice.

The boards rest on a framework of @1/2inch thick beams which themselves bear on the oak timbers, thereby avoiding any direct weight on the planking. This gives a bilge of about 3inches along the centre in which it is possible to thread a bilge pump (at the start of the season this was always essential when the boat would take up and leak alarmingly.)

Perhaps a picture may illustrate this best:-
BlueMoonRemovesuperstructure1630-13 reduced.jpg
(26.26 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
Rupert, the full low down on my clinker is in "My 14ft Dinghy, Blue Moon."
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1211
As you may see in this picture she is not being redecked, but rather has been stripped of a rather clumsy half deck put on her for use at sea by some seascouts.

Removing the deck exposed nicely made quarter knees and breast hook, as well as paired quarter knees on the central thwart and a third thwart supporting a mast tabernacle. While this feature suggests a Norfolk origin which noted by A.G. has striking similarities to a Norfolk One Design, the timbers and lay-up are somewhat finer with closer spacing of the timber frames. There are also more strakes, although this may suggest a cheaper lay-up since thicker strakes of solid wood would be more expensive to produce, requiring either reduced productivity from the lumber or much thicker, and so more ancient tree trunks.

These important if minor differences make me believe her to be a B.R.A. 14ft restricted dinghy.
Michael Brigg
tégé

Post by tégé »

Thank you.

I will show you the new floor (at the autumn).

Tégé
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Michael,
Having seen the linked picture of your boat, the raked bow contra-indicates a Norfolk Dinghy. However it was certainly undecked as built.
The redecking looked ok in the picture, but with the ply off!
Clearly the work of an artful-bodger!
So many clinker dinghies built as one off, or a yard series possibly for hire on the Broads or Lake District?
It's doubtful you'll ever know, but of course finding out is one of the things the CVRDA is good at!
Any more clues?
Simples.