Taking a pattern/template

share hints, tips and experiences
Nessa

Taking a pattern/template

Post by Nessa »

I'm hoping to post pics later, but basically, the crew deck (false floor) is missing from my recently purchased Marauder. On one side the substructure is there, on the other side there is nothing. I'm not too worried about rebuilding the supports - I'll just copy the existing bits, but how can I get the shape of the flooring itself? Is there a 'best way' this can be done with cardboard or paper or something, so I can then transfer the shape to ply?

Also, what is the name of the tool that takes the measurement of an angle, such as between the floor and the side tank, and where can I get one?

I need to know this both for the Marauder (soon to be named Ghengis the Menace) and for Agamemnon.

I'm afraid the latter won't be anything like ready for Roadford AG - too many disasters have occurred this summer and I am behind on everything. :x
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Ancient Geek

Re: Taking a pattern/template

Post by Ancient Geek »

Too many projects too!
Focus!!!
When God was young I needed to retro-fit a bulkhead I simply got some stiff card (Nicked from the school art cupboard!) cut to approx shape propped into place and then stapled post cards to the card and transfered this to the ply which was near enough a fit and I trimmed it to be an exact fit and bevelled to hull curves.
It will be easier (This is a false bottom?) if you fit to the hull side, knees etc., and then scribe in the centreline and fore and aft bits which will be near enough straight.
I think you mean a "Sliding bevel" but if it's only a few angles the card (Cut the cards with a sharp point for the inside of the angle,) and staple trick will do it just as well and save a fortune at Buck & Hickman!
Just don't spen anything you save on another project!!!
Simples.
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

This what you mean?
This is a sliding bevel.
Attachments
Sliding Bevel.jpg
(18.02 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
Simples.
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Try again.
Well very trying!
Attachments
Sliding Bevel.jpg
(18.02 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
Sliding Bevel.jpg
(18.02 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
Simples.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

There are many many ways of making up an inner template.

AG's way of stapling or taping small bits of card to an undersized bit of card works well and is possibly the most pragmatic.

two other ways that both work are:

A) when you need a simple straight edge....i.e. hull-to hog to board case...
Just cut a piece of card very rougly to shape and then use a pencil with a small block of wood to offset the mark inside the card. This works well unless the template has to be accurate in both sides as well as bottom, in which case you need to make two templates, one for each side and then stick together with tape.

B) Another elegant way for bigger templates, is to go buy some lengths of 8 x8mm strip pine, then cut each bit to fit one edge of the space. Use a glue gun to hold in place other bits of pine, wood, card etc to support the strip which. You can push the pine out to fit concave or convex shapes. Once all edges are supported by glued bits of wood, you have the simple task ;-) of cutting it out and re-building it on the workshop table. This is basically the same as AG method but using strip wood rather than card....so works better as I said for larger templates.

Either way, it is a slow and gradual process. Make one....try it in place.....cut and adjust it...and when you are happy use it to cut the full bit. Just remember to cut as far outside the line as your confidence will allow.

Working with templates is fun.....nothing to loose until you transfer it to your wood.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it