Piranha Int Canoe deck layout query

share hints, tips and experiences
cweed

Piranha Int Canoe deck layout query

Post by cweed »

My Piranha mk 2 (I believe it to be ) needs the daggerboard and control cleats area tidying. The foredeck to the rear of the mast turret has a large aperture for access to the daggerboard slot, but I don't have the hatch cover. (Presumably there was one originally)
The optionas are
Leave as it, which is a bit of a tiger trap with nicked fibreglass edges and string everywhere;
Make a replacement cover, the easy option, but it will need a slot presumably for the daggerboard access and anothe semicircular slot for the kicker arc;
Cut away the cross strut and the foredeck area between the seat carriage and the mast turret into a semicircle and reposition the cam cleats. I' m wary with this option as i don't want to weaken the boat, I'm not sure if I can reposition the cleats on the remaining gunwhale / deck edge, and I don't want to end up with more sharp edges than currently.
Does anyone have a picture of a Piranha with this hatch / cover in place?
Thanks for any feedback.
Ed
Site Admin

Re: Piranha Int Canoe deck layout query

Post by Ed »

urrr..

might be worthwhile asking over on the int-canoe forum....they all have memories like nothing...

What number is the IC? can check on listing.

I can't visualise the decks on the Pyranha MkII....but I am sure Neil will be able to come up with some ideas...

you can see his at: http://www.pegasus18.com/dinghies/index ... 2/#more-18

I do remember that we talked about cutting all the foredeck off aft of the mast on his....but that some IC experts recommended not to...then the boat went to Oz and they did just that....and I havn't heard that it did not work.

You might want to ask Christian in Oz on the IC site if he has any images of what they did to that pyranha, cos they really lightened it.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it