Small clevis pins

share hints, tips and experiences
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Have nearly got the mast on Merlin 111 prepared for varnish but the bottle screws on the diamonds are steel (perhaps galvanised once upon a time but certainly not now). They are really small but the crunch is that the clevis pins or bolts and nuts used to attach them to the hounds are pretty thin (like my patience !!) due to wear and tear over the years and they should be replaced. The screws have cleaned up pretty well with emery paper and will be fine but any idea where you can get really small clevis pins (my guess is they are 3mm maximum diameter) or am I stuck with using bolts as has been done earlier.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

I have certainly seen them at that size.....but you might be limited by the length you require as most of them were rather short as well as thin.

the only thing that I can recommend is to look....or ask around.

I will have a look in my bits box

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Brian E. Evans

Post by Brian E. Evans »

One trick I have used in the past for this, is to use a small solid rivet, either round head or tinners head.
You can buy either galvanised steel or stainless steel. You drill a 1mm hole for the cotter pin and you are in buisiness
I suspect that your old bottle screw had a 1/8 clevis which is 3.2mm (ok I know it is actually 3.172588832 mm ) but I suspect that you may only find 3mm rivets.
B.E.