Blue Gee

share hints, tips and experiences
Garry R

Blue Gee

Post by Garry R »

Has anyone tried this epoxy product

http://www.sailboats.co.uk/search.aspx? ... blue%20gee

I was told about it and was also told that in addition to a good epoxy as there is a dedicated thinning product it is very useful as a cure for delamination of deck ply and it paenetrates well. Have to confess I had not heard of it.
Ed
Site Admin

Re: Blue Gee

Post by Ed »

I have not tried Blue Gee either....though I have considered it at times and looked through the product details. I was going to pick some up when I had to go down to Poole anyway (where there is a depot), but they were not very helpful, so it didn't happen.

But as I have said before....and I admit to much biasedness on the subject...

I can heartily recommend Sicomen Resin from Matrix Mouldings.

Both because it honestly is in my opinion the best epoxy resin on the market (have tried most)....but also because it is certainly not the most expensive.

But far more than this, and mainly, because the 'boat' side of their business (they supply a fair proportion of the dinghy manufacturers in the UK) is run by Wizz Deas, who is a brilliant and practical boat-builder in composites, who is also unbelievably generous with his knowledge and help on all things epoxy.

I have learnt tons from him in the past and for that alone I would continue to purchase epoxy from him.

But do give him a buzz and talk about the pros and cons of using a diluent with Epoxy.

There is a Sicomen Diluent and I have used it, with success, as far as I am aware. Which is to say....it worked, but how much it compromised the strength of the epoxy, I don't know!

Of course the most well known 'thin' epoxy is/was SP300 Eposeal. I have used this a fair bit, for re-constituting ply....but with mixed success. Sometimes it really worked, but others - not. But the thing I most realised was the loss in strength that happens when you dilute epoxy....is considerable. So this is fine in places where strength is not an issue, but a worry where it is.

The only real way to reliably thin epoxy is to work in the warmth!!

But you can go a long way by using a 'slow' hardener and heating locally with a hot-air gun.

Great thing to tell someone who is working in Aberdeen!!

You can contact Wizz at

Freephone: 0800 0744 788

Telephone: 0117 971 5145

E-mail: [email protected]

and website of course is http://www.mcmc-uk.com

If you do talk to him.....do ask him again to join the forum. I know he has thought about it in the past.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it