what have I done? Marauder!

share hints, tips and experiences
jpa_wfsc

Re: what have I done? Marauder!

Post by jpa_wfsc »

davidh wrote:Nessa,

Yes, I would just mirror what is left on the other side.

The other consideration. Watch out on e-bay/boat jumbles and get a track and traveller. Then, going upwind, you snug in the genoa early on, set the mainsheet, then play the traveller - just as one would with an FD. There is quite a significant overlap on the genoa, so this is by far the best way to get upwind fast without back winding the main.

Interestingly, when I was test sailing the Devoti D-One, that is rigged with a full length traveller. In these days or hoops and strops, it is easy to forget just how good sailing a well set up rig can be. Progress can take funny directions

D
D
Our Peggie has a rope hoop centre main system which, although offering lots of variable positions you can sheet from, is I find hard to use and has no scope for playing upwind like a traveler - - I was thinking of putting a track in for the same reasons you mention David. Less original maybe - but lots of boats designed in the 50's used center main with travelers - or have they all been retro-fitted? There is the added problem of the very high boom on the peggie... a metal hoop would be about 5' tall!!!

Otherwise I am going to go back to a transom track or transom strop system (but keeping the center mainsheet feed).

j./
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I have now pulled ou the remains of the crew floor and centreboard case, working on the principle that it would simply be easier to replace the lot with clean, new ply than to attempt to clean up the manky old stuff. This has revealed a few nasties, but actually the boat looks much more like a do-able project than it did. I will post pics later I hope...
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
davidh

Post by davidh »

J (and Nessa)

It has always amazed me how people have changed from one system (travellers) to another (hoops) then on again to yet another (strops) without any real feel for what it is they are doing. With the big overlapping genoa, the M14 has more in common rig wise with an FD than with the other mid range performance boats.

I made my M14/Marauder go very quickly but using a needlespar stick, a strut and a LOT of mast bend. This flattened the entry to the main which was idea as I had a quite light crew. With the rig set like this I could grind in the genoa without too much backwinding on the main. Real bummer that - pointing high yet still with boatspeed. But with anything other than a Needlespar I'd have feared for the mast as the prebend was pretty excessive - it looked like a 49er!

I'll have a chat with Ian Ridge, I'm pretty certain that he took plenty of pics as he built the very last two Marauders- at least, the last two that actually reached the water! I'll try to get some of his shots and upload them!

Cheers

D
David H
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Next questions:

1) The boat will soon be nearly all bare wood, apart from the manky paint on the outside of the hull. Is there anything I can do to protect it, other than try to wrap it nup as much as possible, to protect it while I look for winter storage?

2) Connected to the above, am I right in thinking that I have no chance whatsoever of doing any epoxying until the warmer weather returns, given that I don't yet have dry storage? Even if I do get storage, there won't be heating.

3) In conclusion, do I have to recognise that once I have finished my scraping in the cockpit, I might as well stash the boat away till the spring and the weather gets warm enough to do more work?

It is sooo frustrating! :evil:
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I spent this afternoon taking out the spinnaker chute. It was held in by some kind of brown primordial slime and something like red cement. Taking it out has given me a useful view of the inside of the front tank, plus access to the manky bits I was worried about. When I looked inside I was pleased to see everything looked dry and sound, but more exciting was seeing that the builder had painted his initials (?) MAT, plus the year of build - 1973, on one of the internal supports.

I love finding things like that!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Despite having found some halloween horrors today I am remarkably cheered because I have been sent the full build manual by the very nice man who also sent me all the newsletters. I have not had time to fully consult it (had to write a pesky oU essay) but am looking forward to a full viewing tomorrow.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Having very carefully turned the hull upside down and done some unscrewing I have now been able to cause the remains of the centreboard case to fall out - they hit the ground with a satisfying clunk. This was deliberate and is A Good Thing because it now means I have all the remains and can start playing boat archeology and start reconstructing how it should look, then building the new one.

The build manual - my new holy book - says the case is put in with the hull upside down. I think. Is that right? Presumbaly I assemble the parts then screw it up onto the hull?

Can I recycle the brass screws? Should they be replaced with new brass screws, or should I buy stainless steel?

These are hypothetical issues at the moment because I am way off this tage at the moment, but I do like to plan ahead.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
davidh

Post by davidh »

Nessa,

a quick reply as I'm just 'passing through' and saw your email.

Can I add an extra suggestion? I'd think about getting a n other centreboard for the boat, as the original one was just a piece of partially profiled ply.

Hunt around, a board from a fireball, hornet or 470 might be nice, the reconstruct the plate case to fit the boat rather than 'tother way around.

You'll see a few posts from me on the Contender site (one might interest you) - have to do something to wean you away from commenting on the new rooster boat

D
David H
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Well, as it happens I have a lovely Trott fireball centeboard in the garage which I bought from ebay at the princely sum of 99p. What is missing from what I have now for the marauder is the little gadget that I think sits outside the case and hold the bolt for the board - presumably the hole was drilled once the case was constructed? So in some ways that means I am free to fit an alternative board, though I don't look forward to positioning it. Surely it also means I should look for a new rudder. I have a spare fixed one for the c boat!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
davidh

Post by davidh »

Nessa,

If you're making a new case then you have the option of the usual through bolt or using a stirrup as in the case of the CBoat. The answer is as much a matter of preference as anything else!

As for the rudder - what you use, make sure it is up to the task. The Marauder has a nice beamy stern, get a bit of a gust with that big kite up and it can need a goodly haul on the helm to restore order - not to mention control. This is not the time for the rudder plade to think, 'sod this - I'm spec'd to deal with a lightweight single hander' and give up the ghost. As you may guess...am speaking from painful experience

D
David H