J203

share hints, tips and experiences
Mungo

J203

Post by Mungo »

Thanks to everyone for the trailering advice and J203 has a new home (although my attempts at tarp just produced a gigantic pair of black bloomers at any speed over 80 kph). Now to find out was it worth it? The boat spent 35 years in a barn where I found it. Good old Dad "preserved" it by painting it very crudely with the same paint he used in his bathroom so it looks like hell. I put it on a trailer and the hull seems solid (rapping on it etc). In places the paint has peeled and I am concerned the wood there is degraded... it is not soft but looks a little "freeze dried". Any opinions on her state? I posted some pics (sorry not sure how to make links so if it is all screwed up....). I'll store it for winter and strip it come spring if she's not a wreck. I know the deck is done, but it's the hull that matters.

I notice some of the boats have names, is there any way to find the names of old boats. Also there is no plate or anything on this boat and I call her J203 because that is what is on her sail. Is there a hidden place on the boat that there would have been a plate or something identifying her?

http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt21 ... mview=grid

thanks

Mungo
Ed
Site Admin

Re: J203

Post by Ed »

Some Jollyboats have shell numbers....but by no means all. Fairey are like that...sometimes they seem to do it....and other times not.

If there is one, it will be stamped into the foreside of the transom with numbers of about 20mm high.

It won't match the sail number anyway. Fairey shell numbers never match sail numbers as they were issued independently.

Shells were built in fours, some were finished at Faireys and some by independent builders. Most of the early boats were finished by Fairey, but later boats were more commonly finished by other builders. Numbers were issued to finished boats.

You boat is interesting. It has a wide centre-board case top. I have always thought that that meant that the boat was not a 'Fairey' finished boat. But all those fittings are very definitely real Fairey issue.

The two bits you have marked as unknown are both parts of the Roller-reafing kit. The which would of been in the thwart and ran a wire down to the hog, forward to mast and then up to a revolving fitting on end of boom, which could turn on a round gooseneck.

The claw and rod held the kicking strap fitting once the boom had the sail wound around it.

To be honest the system never really worked very well at I don't think I have often seen the winch still in place. It was normally used with the original wooden mast, although the boom itself was more normally the simple reynolds section like used on the Firefly and was woefully under-engineered for the Jollyboat so didn't last very long.

loved the photos.

keep up the good work and keep sending photos.

I must get the Jollyboat blogsite properly

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Rupert

Re: J203

Post by Rupert »

I love the cvrda...someone thousands of miles away posts a picture of a VERY obscure bit of boat, and within a couple of hours is told what it is. Wonderful. The boat looks in pretty good nick compared to many pictures we get on this site. As Ed says, please keep us posted!
Rupert