Periwinkle the Puffin

share hints, tips and experiences
Rupert

Periwinkle the Puffin

Post by Rupert »

The job I've been putting off - rebuilding Pip's boat. I had pretty much decided she was too rotton to bother with, but seeing what Nessa has taken on, and how posessive my daughter is, I decided to save her.
Attachments
Puffin no deck.jpg
(159.09 KiB) Downloaded 444 times
Rupert
jpa_wfsc

Re: Periwinkle the Puffin

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Oh well done! WSC would not be the same without P!

j./
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Did you know there used to be Open meetings for Puffins? I remember one at Thorpe Bay was called off because of very high winds. On their way back along the Southend Arterial Road several of the Puffiners found the underpass at the Chelmsford turn off was flooded so they took their Puffins off the roof and sailed them there. The police came along and took a dim view of it!
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Ah those Southend Police the Hornet Fleet had many a run in with them. Do you remember the drag racing along the prom Dave?
Cheers Al
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Rupert!

Clearly a man dedicated to the task with an equally committed family.

Can I see carpeted floor and a Skirting board in that picture?? Surely not the living room!! This must be heaven on earth :lol:
Michael Brigg
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I carpeted the garage for a family get together last year, and never got around to taking it up...It is now covered in stripped paint, so I may regret that!
There appear to have been thousands of Puffins built. In fact, it qualifies for David H's quest for imploding classes!
I suspect they all rotted where the hundreds of nails hold the plastic sides on. Any ideas how to fit it back on without the nails, anyone? Apart from duck tape, which might not have the longevity! What I need is a sort of super double sided tape that lasts for ever and sticks anything!
Rupert
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

So you are in the Garage. How disappointing. :(

If you find the answer fixing your decks you will be able to pass it on to that chap on the firefly site who wants to put a rondar plastic deck on a wooden hull. :? :shock:
Michael Brigg
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

The plastic sides are collapsable polythene stuff, so not quite the same!
Rupert
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Well, the decks are on and planed to size, and the new and mast gate are epoxyed in. Fingers crossed that the epoxy goes off in the chilly weather again...
Attachments
low res puffin with thwart.jpg
(126.16 KiB) Downloaded 276 times
Rupert
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

This is a long, cold trail! But the man who invented the Lomax sports car (a space frame / alloy panelled way to re-use a 2CV to make a 3-wheeler a bit like a vintage Morgan) - and he used a yellow, thick double-sided tape to stick the panels on. He also used this to make trailers - and a company I used to work for bought one of those trailers and used it for many years with no trouble.

Cant remember his name! But his factory was in Cam, near Stroud.

The trail is colder because I can not remember the name of the tape - but it was very good and was made by 3M. It was a pressure-sensitive adhesive and coped with wet, big temperature range, vibration, - should do the trick.

Good Luck!
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I've found various tapes on the internet (no, not featuring Paris Hilton) but I've not figured out how I would get the PVC on without it sticking in the wrong place as I try and lower it down. I'm sure lateral thinking will sort it once I start.
Rupert
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Soapy water..

You coat one surface (has to be non-porous) with soapy water. Lower the other onto it, then squeeegy the soapy water out. At least - that's how we used to laminate lexan (a poly-carbonate film) onto aluminium using a double-sided tape.

Also, until you press hard, the pressure sensitive tapes do not bond.

Practice first on something else!
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

While my varnish is failing to dry, I took the folding bit outside and took a good look at it. I think it is dead, as the PVC is worn through and getting brittle. I think I might take the oppotunity of trying a somewhat different construction of topsides while I'm about it, to make the boat nicer to sail and row, and possibly, dare I say it, prettier! On the other hand, she will no longer be an original Puffin if I do that. I'm torn.
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Alan W.

was not me (on the prom at 'sarfend') nor did I take part in the lampost decorating thing. It was a big boy that did it, he then ran away. Come to think of it.... could that have been you??

I'm innocent and have the record to prove it! (even if they still won't let me back in the posh bar at 'throp' bay!!

D
David H
JimC

Post by JimC »

Rupert wrote:I'm torn.
So's the PVC [gdr]