I give up

share hints, tips and experiences
Nessa

I give up

Post by Nessa »

At the moment I am waiting for the results of an mri scan on my shoulder and also to have an mri scan on my wrist, due to a suspected cartilage tear. Both injuries on my right side. I also have a ton of admin work to do relating to now running the training centre at the club. This means I can do little or no boat work for the foreseeable future. While I'm happy to pu the Marauder on hold, I want to get Agamemnon on the water - I will have had him/her two years soon and have waited long enough already.

What I want to do is find someone who can finish the scraping for me - not a huge amount, do all the cleaning and tidying, repair the giant hole in the front bulkhead and then put the varnish on. I really do want to do the fitting out myself.

But how do I find such a person? How much should I expect to pay? I don't work because of another long term sickness, so don't have much dosh, but I do want to get a decent job done (that's why I would ordinarily do it myself) I don't mind towing the boat to where it needs to go - I live just outisde Cambridge now.

Can anyone help or recommend someone who can help? Suggestions please!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Rupert

Re: I give up

Post by Rupert »

Most people who do boat repairs have to feed and clothe kids, buy themselves beer and the like, so it is rarely cheap, as the hours, as you know, can be long. When I was doing it I could charge out pretty cheaply (only the beer bit) and I'd still end up charging more than the boat was worth.
I wonder - do any of the younger club members at Hunts have an interest in wooden boats and the history of the sport, and maybe a yearning to be good with their hands? Could make a good part time job for someone enthusiastic but careful, especially if they could work on it at your place, so you could help by bringing tea and advice, and so keep an eye on the job?
Otherwise, ask Colin Hall (BM sailor at Hunts) if he knows anybody, as he is pretty knowledgable about wooden boats.
Rupert
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Walnut Shells? Sadly I am siling as of next weekend I'll see if i can find a volunteer in a swap for extended loan of walnut shell machine!
Simples.
jon711

Post by jon711 »

With a bit of arm twisting, I may be able to help.....

Jon
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

A twisted arm (literal) is what got Nessa in this mess in the 1st place!
Rupert
jon711

Post by jon711 »

Very good, but joking aside, I may be bought for a few bacon butties!!

Jon
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

sorry Jon, I am veggie!

I do know of a bloke locally who might be able to do the job - he has restored a 14 before so I may give him a call. Trouble is, I know he will want to buy him/her.....I must be strong....
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

I have previously toyed with the idea of bringing my own bete noire to the championships, or any other CVRDA meet for that matter along with a keg of real ale (or in the case of Last years Roadford, a bottle of teachers and a barbeque) with the intent of opening up a "Stripper bar" as an aid to the evenings entertainment and conversation.

All you need to do is bring your tool. :shock: Beer is free...

The group action could continue until late into the night! :D :D
Michael Brigg
Southern377

Post by Southern377 »

Nessa.

Don't give up!

Why don't you organise a hands-on, skill-swap, Week-end Workshop Party? Bring a bottle and scraper?

I think the Cherub Owners organise some kind of project weekend/s during the winter?

http://www.uk-cherub.org/ go to - Forum - Events - Sticky Weekend

Advance apologies for missing the meet-up at the Dinghy Show; I've got to work both days this year.

Regards,

Alan
JimC

Post by JimC »

Southern377 wrote:Why don't you organise a hands-on, skill-swap, Week-end Workshop Party? Bring a bottle and scraper?[like the Cherub "sticky weekends"]
Given a suitable venue (which I lack), this would be a good idea. I keep meaning to organise a company that does walnut blasting to clean up the interior of Queenie, but its like 10 minutes work... Maybe we need the Ancient Geek to organise a Walnut Weekend? There could also be veneer colour matching, exchange of ideas etc etc... Has anyone got a nice barn?
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

A very good thatched barn that is heated but you need to get to North Sjaelland!
Simples.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

and now I have been given another Marauder.... :roll:
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2