GP14 advice

share hints, tips and experiences
Ancient Geek

Re: GP14 advice

Post by Ancient Geek »

With patience and frequent needle changes you can even sew recut Dragon sails on a modern machine, I made lots of Merlin Rocket sails on my mothers singer in the early 60's, your problem will be buying fine thread that is suitable though for spinnaker bags ordinary thread will do it.

The principle with spinnaker poles is the same Cadets through to Etchells or Dragons slice and dice to personal preference but beware fly away unless you really know what you are doing.
Simples.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I don't think my Risk Analysis would allow for fly away poles on a training boat!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Pat

Post by Pat »

My nineteen year old Pfaff Creative handles everything from fine silk to multiple layers of denim - including boat covers and sail bags. Just match the needle and stitch size to the fabric and sew SLOWLY.

I use branded dressmakers polycotton thread for most work (Coats, Gutermann etc) - the cheap threads just break. For heavy duty I've a waxed strong thread, mail ordered from Point North http://www.profabrics.co.uk and they do all the cloth, fasteners, sail fittings etc. Their thick nylon is good for undercovers and the thinner for sailbags.

Now to go and cut out my heavy wool winter coat - at this rate it will be summer before it is made!