Power tools

share hints, tips and experiences
Faireycake

Power tools

Post by Faireycake »

I am looking to invest in a sander and have had quite a few conflicting views attempting to help guide me through the maze. The work being done is primarily finishing plywood. So... if V=I/R etc, should I be looking at the wattage, voltage the brand name, pneumatic, 110V...? My own experience in the past goes little further than that I have found the velcro pad systems tend to get clogged and lose their effectiveness. Any input would be appreciated.
Garry R

Re: Power tools

Post by Garry R »

I agree about the Velcro system. Great concept but expensive and if like me you use your old sandpaper which has come off the sander then I find it useless. I have a ransom orbital sander witha large flat platen and I get the green sandpaper in different grades and cut them to length. It seems to last better than the sandpaper designed for the machine but then the "consumables" after sales are in their interest not to last too well!! Most of those sanders are rubbish for getting into corners so the "detail" sanders as they seem to be called could be useful as well. It just so happens that Lidl are offering detail sanders TOMORROW 4th Feb 2010 for about £10.
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl ... /index.htm

Click From Thursday box and pop in your postcode. I was wrong on price they are £11.98!!!
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Or Argos have an offer on at the moment

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... 418766.htm

Only £12.99 with £3.99 for 3 year cover which seems a good deal to me. I have had a couple of sanders over the last 5 years so a 3 year warranty looks attractive.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

My favourite sander is my palm sander because I only have little hands. I hate the velcro stuff on my detail sander. I do think power matters.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

1/4 sheet palm sander for me.

I tend to buy the cheap ones.....and then kill them pretty quickly.

Sometimes the motor goes.....but more often the little clips go first.

1/4 sheet means you can buy rolls of abrasive paper much more cheaply.

If it is cheaper, you can afford to change the paper more often and keep it sharp.

I normally pay from £10-£20, but there are some nice ones around £40 or so.

I am going to invest in a compressed-air one soon....just as soon as I have bought all the walnut-shells gizmo.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

You get what you pay for at the end of the day and you have to decide what you are trying to achieve before you start buying.

If everything is to be painted then the finish of most sanders will be ok. If you want to varnish then the thousands of little circles left by cheaper ordinary sanders is an acquired taste for some. If you want a really good proper finish then you have to work or pay for it and you will need a better sander. With any sander on plywood there is very little top veneer before you ruin the whole thing.

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/power-tools-& ... al-sanders

http://www.axminster.co.uk/category-Ran ... 206928.htm
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

I should have added that any areas to be varnished (and on Secret Water and Gannet that's the whole boat!) I sand by hand. Power is important as long as it's to your elbow!!
davidh

Post by davidh »

Agree and disagree!

Power sanders can be a huge help but as Dave C says, you get what you pay for.

I watched Ian Ridge working with a 'dual action' sander. It was a good quality item to start with which helps - but even in daily workshop use the velcro fastening seemed to be fine.

D
David H
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Oh absolutely!

some of those round random orbitals are wonderful and a total joy to use. Not that I have used them often, but have borrowed a nice blue-bosch random orbital a couple of times and it was fantastic to use.....and very fast cutting.

but I don't think it is true to say that you have to have one of these....or unless you do, you will end up with scored decks.

I have never really been able to justify buying one of these at £200-£400. Not only are the sanders out of my budget but the round velcro-backed abrasive-papers even when bought it bulk just become very expensive in use. And you can't get into a corner very well either.

Bearing in mind that when Kevin & Sonia Boyd (early Roadford/CVRDA guys) did their Dragon, they spent over £350 on sandpaper ( I know, I know.....walnut shells!) - it is an expense that needs to be considered.

I would much rather spend what little money I have for tools on a really good jig-saw, which completely changes the tool....or a decent power-plane......or even a drill....but I just can't really see it for a sander.

As long as it is a proper vibrating orbital sander and not a rotary sander....or belt sander...I don't think you can go far wrong.

If you get scoring on your deck - the little round circles, it is simple because you are using the incorrect grit paper.

Personally I think you are much better off to buy a cheapish 1/4sheet orbital sander and a good long roll each of good quality ali-oxide 40, 60, 80, 120 and 240 grit, (which will cost you more than the sander anyway) although to be honest I would normally do the 240 by hand with a sanding block. After that I go to wet'n'dry, by hand.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Sanding rolls were a major financial break through for me, as was screwfix. And now I have discovered Brewers plus another local decorators' outlet. It is all joyful.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

With a Dragon hull the pro's use a longboard to fair.
As to the cost of the Bosch etc., As Lord Rothschild said "My father told me I was not rich enough to buy cheap things". The best is always cheaper in the end.
Simples.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

I think it was the inside that took the time!

http://www.letonkinoisvarnish.co.uk/fil ... at_big.jpg

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
ent228

Post by ent228 »

I have had a green Bosch random orbit PEX 12AE 400watt for about 10 years now. It's done everything, boats, floors etc. It's had 3 new velcro bases as they do seem to wear out. I like the velcro bases cos the holes allow good dust extraction with a hoover (I have a knackered Dyson DC01). The velcro bases are really good because they allow you to change the grit very easily so you use the correct type of paper. The discs are expensive but if you clean them they will last for ages. I use a rubber stick I got from Axminster ages ago. It looks like crepe rubber and removes all the crud from the discs. Paraffin also works well if a little smelly! Make sure you regularly check the bolt that holds the bases on as it can come loose and then you have to rebore and tap the hole.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

When I was doing things for a "living" I had a Bosch pex125, the older version of the one just mentioned. Fantastic tool. After several complete sanding jobs (maybe 20 boats or more) I had to have the bearings replaced. In the end it burnt out, and as I was no longer being paid, I sufficed with cheaper ones. In general, horrible, and very short lived.
Rupert