Power tools

share hints, tips and experiences
Ancient Geek

Re: Power tools

Post by Ancient Geek »

I once bet a fellow TA Officer I could double park outside his Harley Street rooms for a week.
That was when you could park in Harley Street for a week!
I did. an old VW beetle on top of another old VW beetle. The RNLI did rather well too.
I recall being a pasenger in a borrowed bus in Dublin borrowed from Clontarf Bus Garage after a night in one of the Yacht Clubs (During IDRA Week.) by Jackie O'Reilly to take us all back to our various digs and hotels because were too under the weather to drive, so I suspect was he, he left it I recall on the road because it had run out of fuel.
Simples.
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

The great Tom Lehrer has a phrase for it "sliding down the razor blade of life"!
Simples.
roger

Post by roger »

Chaps I hate to be a boring old fart but we are now a long way from sanders.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Moderator showing some "true grit" :lol: (Pardon my even worserer pun there David) to bring us back onto the topic of POWER TOOLS!
Michael Brigg
SaturdayGirl

Post by SaturdayGirl »

<I> I should have added that any areas to be varnished (and on Secret Water and Gannet that's the whole boat!) I sand by hand. Power is important as long as it's to your elbow!! </i>

Great post Garry R and my prefered method to sand anything from 10 ft to 140ft . DA sanders always cause trouble , unfairness , going through veneers and general lazyness . Top quality comes from hand sanding and not the DA .
Keith66

Post by Keith66 »

The best sander i have ever used is a Sealey ER150 random orbital, well balanced & well made. Mine is now 15 years old & has seen much use. The first thing to do with random orbitals is throw the supplied velcro pad away they are too expensive. Buy a soft foam feather edge pad that takes Stick on discs, these can be purchased from car paint suppliers for far less than velcro. For fairing small boats a car air file is also very good, though they eat air.
Faireycake

Post by Faireycake »

Many thanks Keith, thats a welcome (focused) response to the question, I guess you must've pasted that in from the other forum... I am close to getting a good quality (nicely priced) compressor 70-100 PSI, 5-7 bar I',m guessing this isn't big enough to run the Sealey but may be good enough to run the paint gun I need next. In the mean time I visited Argos and have now got their 'Start sanding' package, not a bad bit of gear, now I need to know about the different paper types? Any heads up would be appreciated. The plan is to finish off this small ply hull ready for a varnish, nothing more than a satin finish would be nice!
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

I have a couple of 750ml tins of Blakes Durasatin sent to me in error which I really don't see myself using. They are unopened (just spotted the error in time!) and you are welcome to them for the cost of postage.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Faireycake wrote: The plan is to finish off this small ply hull ready for a varnish, nothing more than a satin finish would be nice!
After all the intense work with power tools to produce a "To die for finish" what is the purpose of a Satin finish?? :?

Is this a wind up??

We did discuss this a while back when Garry first announced the arrival of Satin finish varnish on his door step. The conclusion was that it might look suitable on those parts of the deck that can act as a table (for the Beer and sandwiches, or perhaps a G+T,) but as a racing or any kind of finish to the hull, surely questionable.

I have seen the bow of a Merlin converted for use as a coffee table, but...

I presume this is for the firefly you were asking about on the "Forensic" thread?

Fireflies have been used as furniture but its not the usual thing to do!
wp10465381_0f.jpg
(118.4 KiB) Downloaded 276 times
Michael Brigg
Faireycake

Post by Faireycake »

I was surprised to find the instructions for the Argos budget sander suggests maximum 30 minute cycles with a 30 minute break, I thought this to be sufficient - then found how therapeutic sanding is.
The 'finish to die for', for me is satin however absurd that may seem, deep gloss in my mind seems less functional, all that work is about me doing the best job I can. Oh! its also teaching me a lot about the wood and the Firefly. My next voyage of discovery and subsequent tranche of stupid questions will be around replacing the car body filler that has been used to patch her up before ;)
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

My guess is that the 30min cycle is to prevent vibration knackering your nerves. I have found that I get pins and needles if I do too much of this so tend to limit myself now. As regards the car body filler the only way is to cut out a veneer and insert a new piece if you want it all to look like wood and even then not easy to match. A fiddly job. I think the holes on Vivette were epoxy so they blended in a bit but grey is another matter.
Keith66

Post by Keith66 »

Regarding the sealey ER 150 its a 240 volt electric job & is i reckon way better than the bosch or any other.
As far as air tools go Random orbitals are usually straight copies of the Chicago pneumatic, which was the best air DA ever, if air tools are desired they will work from 70 psi up but you need a compressor capable of 14cfm minimum other wise you have to keep stopping to let the pressure build up, realistically this means at least three hp single phase or more.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Aldi Alert!

Air compressor & air tools on Sunday. Sanders and sheets on Thursday