Varnishing and Deck Fittings

share hints, tips and experiences
simon-t

Varnishing and Deck Fittings

Post by simon-t »

Hello all,

I am about to fly back to the UK to apply many layers of gleaming varnish to my Firecrest 15 (you remember - the one that was going to be back on the water last July!)

I also have lots of gunmetal deck fittings to go on. Should I drill the holes for these before I varnish...or get the drill out afterwards so they sit on top of it?
I have read advice to do it both ways. What's your experience?

Then there's the thorny issue of staining. The new mahogany used by the boat builder doesn't match the old stuff. So the whole things looks a bit like two different boats have been glued together. I'm not best pleased about that. I don't have time to stain now anyway. Is the new wood likely to get lighter or darker with age?

You can see what I mean in the attached photos.

Hope to see you all out sailing soon.

Simon

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26634968@N05/
Ed
Site Admin

Re: Varnishing and Deck Fittings

Post by Ed »

My preference for fittings is to do all the varnishing first, then place fittings and drill holes and dry-fit, then remove them and seat in either a little varnish ( a bit messy) or some silicon, which is easier, but you MUST remove all silicon from everywhere if you need to do another coat.

I tend to always be in a bit of a rush with last coats of varnish.....so often do all the above and let the varnish harden for a month (rest of season?) and then take off most of fittings and give it another coat once the first stuff has really hardened.

But as I said above, be really careful about the silicon, it gets everywhere and can ruin the next coat of varnish as you get awful orangepeeling.

As far as the staining goes.

It is all done now....so don't worry too much about it.

Most mahogany (kayha, utili, sapele) all seem to darken and go redder with age (exposure to oxygen/UV) initially......but then start to fade in a few years, going from red to brown to yellow, which will help you.

Is that decking Robbins Elite? looks like it might be....if so, that does tend to fade, but first it looses it's 'pinkness' and starts go much more 'golden' which does look better.

For sure, some stain might of helped with the top 'sheer-plank', but I think you will be pleasantly surprised with how much it beds in after a few years.

Well done, it looks really fantastic

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Keith66

Post by Keith66 »

You might well find the new mahogany will first darken on exposure to the sun & then start to fade with the rest of it.
Regarding deck fittings i usually varnish first then drilfor fittings.
The important thing to remember is Silicon rubber sealant has no place whatsoever on any wooden boat, the silicone will get on your varnish & when you go to put another coat of varnish on it will cause fish eyes & ruin the finish it is the devil to get rid of.
If you use a good oil based mastic like Evomastic it can be cleaned up easily with white spirit & lasts far longer, plus its cheaper. Save the silicone rubber for fish tanks.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Oh god.....I know Keith66 is right.....

I promise, I promise....never again!

till next time anyway

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
simon-t

Post by simon-t »

Thanks for your comments chaps.

I'll leave the deck fittings until my next trip home from the sandpit.

And I swear there will be no silicon anywhere near my boat. Scout's honour.

Ed, I'm not sure what material was used for the decks. It's all been done by a pro ("pro").

I just threw a scary amount of money at it from three thousand miles away.

It'll all be worth it when I'm sailing along in the English sunshine!

Simon.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Beautiful.

I wouldn't worry about the repairs, there is an honesty about them.
Michael Brigg