Repairing a ships name

share hints, tips and experiences
Pat

Re: Repairing a ships name

Post by Pat »

Half Cut was Morgan Le Fay 2 for many years but according to her original owner, Pat Blake, was originally Half Cut as he had Beatle Cut and Crew Cut before and still keeps themes for his boat names. It's brought us good times anyway.

Only one I've christened is Carbonara - white and full of spaghetti-like strings.
Picaroon is the most forgettable - we usually call it Forty as it's Lark 40

Best name I've seen was a plastic stinkboat called Cirrhosis of the River.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

My L***R is called "White Trailer Trash." :twisted:

If I ever get a canoe to name I'll be spending so much time upside down I shall have its name ("POLICE AWARE") printed on a stick-on notice, stuck on the hull near the centreplate slot. :oops:
Michael Brigg
simon-t

Post by simon-t »

My Firecrest 15 was originally called "Doris Maud". You would have to go a long way to find a worse boat name in the history of mankind's water-borne adventures.

I am going to re-name her "Folly". The name suits the boat and also sums up the ludicrously expensive enterprise of restoring a pile of firewood to former glories.

I am going to fit the maker's plate on the aft cockpit coaming and have Doris Maud on either side in very small lettering. It'll be a talking point and will hopefully stop my brand new Collars mast being taken off by a Tornado jet flying low over Coniston Water.

The champers will be hitting the bow fitting sometime soon. The bottle will be going nowhere near the boat.

Simon.
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

So here's a picture of the bottle breaking, the launching before the last two!
Attachments
David Child Homoyoun Renwick Haihangilie Launching 1.JPG
(26.87 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
Simples.
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Since good appropriate/themed names are on theme as it were.
Urban Taylor a 1960's Merlin Rocket Sailor had "Rural Tinker" and then "Urban Renewal".
There was a Merlin Rocket called "Sail bad the sinnner".
A former boat of mine was re-named "Childs Play" by her new owner Stewart Gurney.
I have had several runs of themes but never managed to keep them going.
"Beat Nik" (Built to do just that! And did.) "Flower Child" and finally "Drop Out". (1963-70 Merlin Rockets.),
I do not even recall what I called my Finn or FD's. Lot's of other names but none of note.
Then, "Snafu", "Snark" and "Snap".
I managed to hang onto "Puff" as a name through several boats, until I was boatless for a month and a German nicked it. Another named after my then wife's Naga name.
Currently I have reverted to "Flower Child", - All Dragons
The RIB is "Chaperone", and a project is called "Frigate".
The Late Robin Stevenson had the occult as a theme in his International 14's Merlin Rockets and National 12's.
Ian Proctor called his 12's and Merlins after clouds.
Names that play on the owners name are clever, Jack Knights had a Finn called "Jack in the Box" which led to a very funny aside as his coffin was being carried up the aisle of the church, even the Vicar laughed.
Lewis Carol has been a constant source for names Mike Jackson (The Dinghy sailor and designer!) Had a series of Alice in Wonderland names, ending I think with "Final Chapter".
I regret I am too old fashioned or not with it enough to get many of the modern names.
Simples.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Faireycake wrote:On receiving my Mk II Firefly I was a little more than disappointed to find that its name was ‘Dylan’ asking in this forum about its genealogy, to then find that it was possibly to do with the Magic Roundabout children’s TV show was at best a sad moment.
It could be worse!... :lol:

I just came across this on Virgin media's home page... "Where are they Now? (soap stars.)
13mar_DylanMcKayLukePerry90210-384x173.jpg
(22.75 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
Dylan McKay (Beverly Hills, 90210)

Dylan was the brooding bad boy with a soft heart in cult US drama 90210. The rebellious lad dated Brenda Walsh who helped him beat his alcoholism and despair when his father was sent to jail. He thanked her by cheating on her with her best friend Kelly. Later, Dylan got conned, went bankrupt and fell back into alcoholism.

Unless of course you happen to be a fan of 90210

But given your liking for the mythological Dylan ail Don I cant really see a reference to a L***r sail number is going to float your boat! :evil:
Michael Brigg