Repairing a ships name

share hints, tips and experiences
Faireycake

Repairing a ships name

Post by Faireycake »

On receiving my Mk II Firefly I was a little more than disappointed to find that its name was ‘Dylan’ asking in this forum about its genealogy, to then find that it was possibly to do with the Magic Roundabout children’s TV show was at best a sad moment. But then… I Wiki’d me the tale of Dylan ail Don.
I have now decided to add the suffix 'ail Don' to Dylan's name.
Having already researched the sensitive and ritualistic difficulty of changing a ships name, do you feel that Poseidon/Neptune may be somewhat appeased with my humble offering of a flagon of ‘reassuringly expensive lager’, or should I push the boat out with a bottle of fizzy white wine on her re-launch?
Michael Brigg

Re: Repairing a ships name

Post by Michael Brigg »

That depends on who else you invite to the party... :lol:

Since we are talking about folklore, I would remind you that mythology (and for that matter Fairy-land) is littered with the casualties of uninvited guests. :twisted: :cry: :evil:
Michael Brigg
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

If you do use the fizzy white wine (Way to go!) a half bottle is enough and do rememberto "Cut" the bottle several ways with a glass cutter,this ensues it breaks, no jagged edges and no bad luck, a piece of boat yard "law" that the big ship builders seem to have forgotten given the failures recently.
If I were at home or had my 64gig memory stick to hand I would attach a picture of the pieces flying just a nano second after a deft blow from a lady well past her prime! (Sorry Homoyoun your words not mine!)
Simples.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

I'm sure the Smashing of a bottle is not an essential part of the ceremony. The Gods and spirits of our forefathers are perfectly happy with a simple "Libation" but it does have to be a fair percentage of the bottle, at least a glassful.

I wouldn't like to risk smashing a Champagne bottle on a new foredeck. or even on the brass keelband.
Michael Brigg
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Really Michael as long as you cut/score the bottle with a glass cutter and the Godparent of the ship hits the bow fitting accurately no damage we've just done it again and I think that's the 20th time dinghies and keelboats. It's np problem and traditional.
Simples.
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Its a Fairy, so obviously:

Elderflower Cordial from the bottle green co.

(Or wait till the autumn and have made yourself some Elderflower Shampers).

http://www.channel4.com/food/recipes/ch ... e_p_1.html
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Fairey

although it is true that the Fairey family crest is a flower....can't remember what flower though....will come to me...

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

only tried to seriously re-name a boat once.

didn't work for me, despite doing every possible thing to pacify the sea-gods....lots of champagne....speach etc etc.

it was still a dead unlucky boat. Of course, maybe it was unlucky before that. On the other hand, the party was fun and the champagne good.

Mind you...what do you do when you get a boat without (to your knowledge) a name and then give him/her one only to discover at a later date that he/she had a name all the time. Which do you stick with?

Not sure on that one. I only discovered the name for my Jollyboat recently after 10 years of calling her 'Effie' - I discover she was actually called 'Missy'. I try now with 'Miss Effie', but it doesn't really work. She has always been called 'J3' really, which my brother Geoffrey likes if no-one else.

On the whole I like the idea of going with an 'adjustment' to the name, rather than a whole new name.

But hey Dillon aint that bad.....My Firefly is called 'Goonfly'....which seemed just as stuck in the middle of the 60s

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

It's Dylan.

Derived from Welsh apparrently it means "Like a Lion," or "Son of the Sea."

Dillon is something else, (probably just a mis-spelling) and belongs to another esteemed NFA member. (Guy Davison)

Actually the original casting and production was French, so you could go with that...

Dylan the rabbit was originally played as a Spanish character, ...named "Flappy!" Image

And you could always choose Bob,...or Thomas!

I would say "name your poison! :oops: :lol: "
Michael Brigg
roger

Post by roger »

Hornet K140 recently known as "Goose" was originally called "Dandy" and then "Santana" but had no name when I first got her.

Lucky? I dont know she was rotting in a dinghy park at Wimbleball when I first found her and had a few years on the CVRDA circuit and even did the SGP. Now she is in the hands of someone else on permanant loan and being rebuilt. Hopefully to be seen at a cvrda event in the future.

She has had a few more years life so I guess changing the name was lucky for her.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Sorry I meant 'Dylan' .....was just away with the faireys :-)

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
chris

Post by chris »

My merlin 507 has had several names acording to past year books, When I got her she had Pendragon painted on her, but I found this was already the name of another merlin. When I got a replacement certificate it had Spriteful on it So I went with that and painted Stripeful on the hull. Everyone said that Spiteful (without the R) was not a very nice name so I now have SPRITE FULL on the hull. I've not had bad luck ....unless you count two broken masts each going through my nice new decks!

PS Iska was originally called Replica which seems an odd name for one of the first batch of merlins.
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

My Enterprise 1713 had tasteful numberplate lettering on her when I got her called RosieII. The original name was Chinook.

Gannet similarly had MERLIN in large self adhesive letters on the bow which is how the guy who sold her thought that was the type of dinghy she was. Fortunately she was a Merlin!! The records for the Merlin class as regards name and number are very good so I was able to re-name her back to the original.

It's interesting how names have become harsh/insulting/rude over the years. The names from the 40's and 50's in the Merlin class somehow reflected a gentler and more kind way of life. Gently, Secret Water, Claire, Restless, Delight.

I still like the name I saw years ago - clever and innuendo I suppose

A l'eau - C'est l'heure
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

l have nearly always changed the names of Hornets I have owned except Piece of Cake as this was a famous boat when I brought her and an infamous boat when I sold her. Changed names were Passing Water to Visonary, Long Boots to Stormbringer, new boats have been called Marginally Effective, Necromancer, Cunning Stunts, Cats from Vitamin Sea to Smoke on the Water, Shearwater from OH NO to Elly, Tornado Phed. Other boats have been Queer Finn to Strange Affair (a Wishbone Ash track), Borzi, Broardsword, Alibi, Audacity (name not changed due to fame), Throughly Nasty Young Men (after we took out a cheating Commodore at a Major Regatta at his club, thats what he called us after losing the protest). Did have a time when very young of naming my boats after swords and weapons Battle Axe, Rapier,Foil was called Foil, Cutlass.
Still think a fun boat name is Hoof Hearted always gets a laugh at prize givings as RO struggles to say it. Current boat names are White Rabbit Finn, from Jefferson Airplane album, Typhoon Dolphin, Sea Mew Shark. Nacra which has recently been stolen Smoke on the Water from Deep Purple please keep an eye open for her. My sisters boat names were aways very girly like Rosebud (named after a doll she had), etc. Changing names has never brought about a change of luck with any of my boats.
Cheers Al
Last edited by alan williams on Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Had an IC called Waning Planker

Still have to name the Pata Finn. Fact Hunt is looking favourable.