stripping gently!

share hints, tips and experiences
Garry R

Re: stripping gently!

Post by Garry R »

Once again the anorak. Chris - if you look on page 8 there is a loose rope coming down the mast on Gently. Do you think it's the spinnaker halyard? That picture also shows the rotating mast working really nicely.
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Now the weather is getting warmer, at least for the moment, I cannot get a picture of Chris stripping gently to suitable music as layer after layer of clothing come off!
Simples.
chris

Post by chris »

Yes Garry I'm sure that's Gently too. Certainly the maker's name plaque is in the right place. (Iska's is much lower down, although that's missing too.) I expect the rope you mention is the spinnaker. Mervyn has given me some old photos and one shows spinakers up though rather far away to be clear. This was still in the days when they had to be flown inside the forestay and only a short pole. In that photo on p9 you can also see the very long goose neck and since it is standing out straight I think it may be a fixed one that doesnt swivel and so rotates the mast as the boom moves (I do have one of those) you can also see the fixed spoon rudder in the back of the boat. Unfortunately that' didn't come with the boat, but I have been promised one from the East (wise man?) The boom that came with her isn't original either, it's wood but much broader, c. late '50s I quess.

I've never specified music to strip to, though Ravel's Bolero might do it (remember 10?) but there are about seven veils of varnish to come off. But I like a Chopin waltz to varnish to, soothing and right speed. Some Beethoven Bagatells work well too and are just the right length to do a coat on the decks.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Scheherezade?
Michael Brigg
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Or maybe the (wal) nutcracker?
Simples.
chris

Post by chris »

To come back to topic, well nearly... Garry you asked about timber for wooden fairleads.Gently, Iska and a N12 c.1947 I had are all made of Ash. as are most of the tillers and extensions. Ash is very split resistant which is probably the characteristic it is chosen for rather than marine durabilty (is not very rot proof). Post war it would have been one of the more available timbers too. If you want a piece to make a couple of fairleads let me know I also have some holly or hornbeam. (but ash is cheap too!).
The fairleads on Gently probably are the originals. They have been moved forward as I said but they were turned round to give a new bearing surface. They fit exactly the old marks still showing in line with the thwart. But they show surprising little wear.
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

As recently as 1967 (all changed in 1968 with the lightweight rachet block!) Bob Hoare was fitting as standard, and most of the Merlin Rocket cogniscenti, were using ash fairleads, some of us, a strip with several holes in it, the thesis being once the crew had got the bugger pulled in the friction of the ash helped stop it slipping, it ran well and I was never aware of undue wear even with the rather tough terylene ropes we had then.
Simples.
chris

Post by chris »

This was one of Iska's original fairleads. I did make some replacements which are on the boat to feel safer and preserve the originals off the boat. The 60 year old brass screws were another concern. I know one had failed when Ed had Iska.
(sorry about the soft focus)
Gently's are not worn nearly as much as this.
Attachments
fairlead.JPG
(54.65 KiB) Downloaded 90 times