Leader 264 Wooden Mast

share hints, tips and experiences
Southern377

Leader 264 Wooden Mast

Post by Southern377 »

The mast is currently painted white. In places it is flaking off but in general the paint is sound.

Do I touch up the bare bits; it looks like a clear varnish or polished wood where it is exposed.
If a touch up what with? and then get on and use it!

Or. Strip off the paint? If so; best way to do so? I am loath to attack it with a scraper as I think it will cause damage? or am I being too cautious? If sanding I would guess at non-mechanical but how coarse a paper and do I work up and down the mast or wrap the paper around the mast in a sawing action.

If all goes well...........I would then like to end up with a clear/light varnish finish.....advice please on what to use and do I use a preserver first.......under coats.....number of coats...?

Was hoping to get hold of an Alloy replacement to use in the interim but so far without luck. Has been a suggestion that an Enterprise mast might fit?

Regards,

Alan.
Rupert

Re: Leader 264 Wooden Mast

Post by Rupert »

I think the Ent mast is shorter than the Leader mast. GP14 mast is longer, so possible could be made to fit?
Just been looking in Dinghy recognition, and it seems a Firefly mast is the same length, if the book is to be believed.
Rupert
chris

Post by chris »

I think I would use a paint stripper here, which should get you back to bare wood without risking thinning the timber. But whatever you do I would really check the glued joint. If it is an old mast the glue may have come to the end of it's useful life so really subject it to some GBH. if you can work a stanley knife if and open the joint anywhere then it worth the time to open the whole thing in two, clean off the old glue and redo it. My last wooden mast broke simply because the seam failed in the bottom 12" ...and it went through the deck.
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Agree with Chris 100%. The Ent mast I have done needed a good clean out and re-glue. Still waiting to varnish it - cold and wet here today so it was paint stripping in the garage doing a passable impersonation of a daffodil or banana by the time it was finished - I really don't like yellow paint any more!! However, Secret Water's mast was painted white but when I got it it was all chalky and it sanded off very easily. Same story on the seam however - needed re-done. One thing to watch is that you don't leave the halyards stuck (and I mean stuck) in the mast when you reglue!! In the words of Basil Fawlty wih Secret Water " I mentioned the glue but I think I got away with it" In fact it was about 4 years ago now, had glued the mast and was just getting ready for bed at about 11pm when it struck me that I may have made a real boo-bbo!! I had to split the mast with some very tacky epoxy in place and managed to just get the halyard pulled free and managed to reglue. Got finished up about 2.30am - the halyard was going to be replaced anyhow and was acting as a guide. Well the mast has held firm so far - I reckon Roadford last year/last race was a pretty good test!!
Southern377

Post by Southern377 »

Thanks Chris & Garry,

Recommended Paint Stripper?

Nasty memories of Nitromors and removing thick textured wall covering......it went like melting plastic then re-set into new and interesting shapes if not scraped off at the right moment!

Regards,

Alan.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

On the M boat I am using a new environmentally friendly stripper recommended by someone on here. You spread it on then scrub if off a bit later with a metal scouring thing.

Here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Home-Strip-Non-To ... 4a9ccf1fcf

I was sceptical, but it works well on this paint.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World