International Canoe K102 "Torment"

share hints, tips and experiences
Michael Brigg

International Canoe K102 "Torment"

Post by Michael Brigg »

Image0049a.jpg
I shall be starting (if I get Roundtuit) a slide show on Torment on a Photobucket file. This along with this thread I hope will be my main reference to the revival of this boat, and my subsequent flounderings!

The Photobucket file link is here:-

http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/dd31 ... 20Torment/

I shall be raising various issues as the weeks go by, and will post the relevant pictures or links as I go along. The idea is to develop a contemporaneous acount of progress from aquisition to launch.
Attachments
Image0049a.jpg
(67.25 KiB) Downloaded 428 times
Last edited by Michael Brigg on Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Brigg
admin
Site Admin

Re: International Canoe K102 "Torment"

Post by admin »

she's looking great.

I was wondering.....is there a need for a separate forum for 'my boat'. it might help keep all the threads about particular boats together.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

History:

Torment was built from a "kit" in the 1960's by John Chrisp. At one point she was displayed either in the Dinghy show, or possibly the "Earl's Court" boat Show. I am in comunication with John Chrisp's son to establish more detail.

She was put away very carefully at the end of one season some time in the early seventies, following which her owner became Ill and has so has been in the garage ever since.

The house is now being prepared for possible redevelopment and so the boat had to find a home. I have been aware of Torment for about a year, but the opportuinity to aquire her became acute earlier this year, and while visiting the Turk's boatyard auction with my brother we were able to inspect Torment who was living literally around the corner in Rotheram.

Though dusty and somewhat bedraggled with bird mess and spider thrax the hull has cleaned up very nicely and does not at present seem to have much in the way of structural problems. It looks like patch varnishing will be sufficient, so Torment might be on the water much sooner than I anticipated.
Michael Brigg
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

admin wrote:she's looking great.

I was wondering.....is there a need for a separate forum for 'my boat'. it might help keep all the threads about particular boats together.
It was something I suggested a little while ago, and certainly might provide a useful "Library rescource and reference point for the trials, tribulations lessons and pitfalls of both successful and unsuccessful projects.

It would probably need to be a more stictly moderated area of the forum, or perhaps made into an "individual author only accessable string." Is this kind of thing possible? If the author poses questions these could be answered via the "pm system" and posted on the string by the author if appropriate
Michael Brigg
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Rather than doing it on the Forum.....

what about moving the website to Wordpress and giving each boat a page on the blog-page....and all the 'members boats' the same keyword or category?

could be easy enough to set up. Not entirely sure we could limit authorship to only that thread....but maybe could.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Back to business.

The boat and rig have done very well in the garage but the sails have unfortunately not done so well.

There has been leakage in the roof, and mouse damage. The mice have fortunately not been too busy and there are only two small easily parched areas, but there is alot of water stain and mould.
Image0052a.jpg
(42.67 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I shall raise the subject in another string titled "Mouldy sails"

I have so far soaked for 48 hours in houshold ammonia solution and cleand off with a pressure hose. The ammonia solution has gone a gratifying shade of brown and there is some improvement but the mould persists. My next step is to use some bathromm/fridge cleaning solution. Essentially a volatile bleach Oxidising product.

My concern is that this may "fix" the rust stains.

A link to the Mouldy Sails thread is here.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2712
Attachments
Image0052a.jpg
(35.96 KiB) Downloaded 395 times
Last edited by Michael Brigg on Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Brigg
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Acetone or Bruce Banks Sails offer a cleaning service they could also mend the mouse damage? Of course other sailmakers offer the same service it's just off hand these were the closest I could think og to you Michael.
Simples.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I'd agree with AG, here, some sailmakers can do amazing things with old sails, for surprisingly little money sometimes, given the cost of new sails.
Rupert
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

I have often wondered if that shower shine stuff would be any good as it seems to get rid of mould. I know in my shower I use a fairly strong solution of bleach if mould appears but on sails not such a good idea.
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

I am not a chemist but I dot see why bleach would be bad for Dacron/Terylene a sail of the age of this one will not have a really hard shiny surface and anything that will penetrate the weave and inevitable cracks to bleach the stains might be good as long as you wash it very throughly afterwards of course.
Simples.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Michael,

beware.... bought a new Makita router from fleabay so am grinding away at any surface I can find - currently the decks of AUS 278 aka 'jester'. The advice is then to keep Tormetor well away from the upper reaches of the hamble else she'll be longboarded, routed at cover in SP320 before you could say "I only came in for a look"!!!!

Nessa - hope to upload some pics onto the website of the work so far... think that once complete the boat will look inpressive - then the attention shifts to smokey bear

D
David H
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

On the (separate) subject of boat pages, isn't a blog the answer. They're very easy to set up and then all that would be needed would be a link to boat's blog sites from the CVRDA site. It would even allow the moderator to remove any blog that strayed too far!
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
davidh

Post by davidh »

Peter,

That's all I'm going to do with all the material that I have on the Contender! I'll set up a blog, then just publish the link to the pages

D
David H
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

For someone else to moderate a blog means it is not a blog!
"A blog (a contraction of the term "web log") is a type of website, usually
maintained by an individual with regular entries of commentary, descriptions of
events, or other material such as graphics or video. Entries are commonly
displayed in reverse-chronological order. "Blog" can also be used as a verb,
meaning to maintain or add content to a blog.
Many blogs provide commentary or news on a particular subject; others function
as more personal online diaries. A typical blog combines text, images, and links
to other blogs, Web pages, and other media related to its topic. The ability of
readers to leave comments in an interactive format is an important part of many
blogs. Most blogs are primarily textual, although some focus on art (Art blog),
photographs (photoblog), videos (Video blogging), music (MP3 blog), and audio
(podcasting). Microblogging is another type of blogging, featuring very short
posts."
Though of course control of what is said is many peoples dream; to take away a right others died for.
Simples.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

and that quote shows the danger of quoting wikipedia. You'll find a large number of blogs are moderated, and shared by multiple contributors

And talking of moderation, perhaps the discussion on Web2.0 technologies might be carried on the Banter section.