Family 14 'Lady Jayne'

share hints, tips and experiences
tarpon

Family 14 'Lady Jayne'

Post by tarpon »

Having acquired a Tarpon 14 rig only a few weeks ago my plan was to build the 14 ft Tarpon to go with it. Things change.

I've now acquired a Family 14 that's been in a family that lives less than half a mile from me. The boats been on the drive for as long as I can remember and I popped the question last week. She's clinker built, has got the Wright's Ipswich mark and she's a bit of a compost heap. She is complete, hasn't been in the water for some 10 years and her covers have let the rainwater get in - a lot of the frames and lower planks are rotten. She is going to need a lot of work.

A couple of things

Anyone got any info on the Family 14 dinghy?
Are there any clinker built restoration experts out there?

I've got John Leather's book but I am guessing I'll need some hand holding from forum members.
Southern377

Re: Family 14 'Lady Jayne'

Post by Southern377 »

Try this link. Suggest you make contact via the forum.

http://www.overystaithesc.org.uk/phpbb3 ... p?f=6&t=55

They were very helpful when I was looking at a possible purchase.

Alan H
Keith66

Post by Keith66 »

What do you want to know? i have plenty of experience with clinker boats both trad & glued.
tarpon

Post by tarpon »

Alan, Keith

Thankyou for your replies. I am now in contact with the OSSC. Early days re asking specific questions. She's now covered over and I'm trying to clear my garage! My thoughts are to build a frame for her to sit on hull up and start with the rotten planks. Most of the rot is from midships to her stern - is it possible to scarph 3/8" planks together or will I have to renew the full plank?

Thanks
Robin
chris

Post by chris »

yes it is possible . Had to do a couple like that on merlin 36, and put new ribs in. tedious but not impossible!
Keith66

Post by Keith66 »

You can scarph planks but remember to stagger the joints well, the scarphs should trail aft on the outside if that makes sense.
The most invaluble tool you can buy is a black & decker powerfile this will remove the riveted over portion over the roves with ease & allow the nails to be knocked out easily. This allows the old plank to be used as a pattern when pushed flat. If its so rotten that it falls to bits you will have to spile a new plank.
Last Clinker boat i rebuilt was a YW DB that had 7 planks a side out from the keel, retimbered, new CB case, new stem & deck. It would have been easier & quicker to build a new one!
tarpon

Post by tarpon »

"It would have been easier & quicker to build a new one"

Thanks for the encouragement :) That thought had crossed my mind, perhaps better to have stuck to Plan A ....the new build Tarpon 14. But I did promise the vendor to get it back to the condition her late husband would have kept it at. Fully realise that its going to be a long project and a steep learning curve.

Anyhow I've made a start on the mast and boom!

Robin
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

tarpon wrote:"It would have been easier & quicker to build a new one"

Thanks for the encouragement :) That thought had crossed my mind, perhaps better to have stuck to Plan A ....the new build Tarpon 14. But I did promise the vendor to get it back to the condition her late husband would have kept it at. Fully realise that its going to be a long project and a steep learning curve.

Anyhow I've made a start on the mast and boom!

Robin
I sometimes wonder if part of the mission statement of the CVRDA should include the epithet that "It is better to travel hopefully than it is to arrive!" 8)
Michael Brigg
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Certainly many of us do Michael.
Simples.