Pimp My Finn

share hints, tips and experiences
Ed
Site Admin

Pimp My Finn

Post by Ed »

OK, Fatboyz.....so I gave in and succumbed to a Finn.

We don't know her number....or her age, but suspect she is a mid 1960s Elvestrom. I have only sailed her 3 or 4 times, but strangely enough, I think I feel more at home in her than I did in Django. This is likely due to having a Needlespar mast rather than the Bruder and much better sails....or maybe just being a few years older!

Anyway, the idea is....or was, to just have her as a low-worry, low-maintenance boat to sail up at Roadford with the RLSC (Roadford Lake Slimming Club).

But you know how it is....you start by just wondering about the possibility of just cleaning her up a little bit and before you know where you are you have plans for a major re-build in your head.

So I thought I would throw it over to you guys to make a start.

Where does the pimping start?

http://picasaweb.google.com/ed.bremner/ ... directlink

I will add some more photos when I get the chance.

I have got some ideas.....for instance I have got 8 new cam-cleats....at £1.50 each on ebay! ready to go in.

I guess the big issue is always going to be 'cutting' some weight out and to that end the floor boards will have to change, as I put my foot straight through them anyway and although I have patched the holes....they are dead heavy. But do I follow Wilf Bishop's lead with Django and use some high tech materials??

Thoughts please?

I hate those teak Gunwales - they have gotta go....

but what's first? How far does one go? What budget should I set?

Lets make a list.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
neil
Site Admin

Re: Pimp My Finn

Post by neil »

the ultimate pimp is....... to chop in it for one of these ;)
n706606243_455776_5148.jpg
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

I'm sooo jealous now. I want a Finn. No, I need a finn
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Now that is just not playing the game at all!!

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Spray the centreboard black, spray the mast black (and pretend it is Carbon) colour co-ordinate the toestraps and pussy pads, respray the floor (blue non slip is just so old hat) and generally make her into the sort of boat you feel ought to have black fluffy dice hanging from the kicker. That way, you get a real smile every time you take the (black, of course) cover off, and won't worry that nothing actually works...

£1.50 for cleats? Bugger, need some for the Lightning.
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Ed,

as I'm just completing a 'back to the bare wood' pimp my contender..... here is my latest thinking on such projects.

The heavyweight floorboards aside, what is the overall condition like - how good is the hull surface. I understand from Rodney (Cobb) that mega stiffness is not the quick solution in Finns, that said, is the hull reasonably rigid (ie, has not gone floppy)

Then - having done the eyeball Mk 1 test (see the string on the Canadian 505 for more on this test - should have gone to specsavers)...

And now for the acid test...just how heavy is the boat. We all know that finns start out as super heavy and then go on to weigh in like dark matter - but on the scales, how much weight do you need to loose to get within striking weight of the other 'classic' finns?

Personally, if it is within a couple of kilos (what is that in Finn terms, 1%?) then you'd be far better off by putting your new cam cleats on, getting rid of those 'orrid old seasure blocks shown in the picture, fair up foils, get a good surface on the hull and then.......

I'm just thinking back to the string elsewhere on the forum...on touching in the varnish on the National 12..... who was it said, do it and then spend the time sailing! It is true Ed and as with so many wise words, the best are said in jest! What started as a pimp job on the contender has ended up a virtual rebuild and is still not really finished. The value of this rebuild is now far in excess of the value of the boat....

So, J*DY.... as in Just ***** Do It - then get afloat..... you'll then have a boat to be sailing in when I come to roadford for my long promised shot at Classic Finn sailing!

D
David H
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Ed Sit down and think about.
The great pleasure in sailing an old Finn is just that, providing everything works. Just use it, Ok this is coming from someone who thinks gleeming finishes are is just for the ....... challenged. Sail it as is time in boat is more important than whether the bottoms been burnished with 1200 grade. Lastly Sail it like you stole it.
Cheers Al
Ps having to do first bit of maintenance since buying the boat glassing the stern deck back in some time soon.
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

Having looked pretty closely at this one Ed I think it seems pretty sound. The mast step is solid and you have all the controls there.
The most important thing with a Finn of any age is to ensure the control lines operate smoothly and for the full range of their adjustment with as little friction as possible.
Most of us have bunghey returns to ensure when a control is let off it does actually release.
All four of your controls, should be easy to reach and the two most used, the kicker and outhaul should be closest to you.
Toestrap adjustment is usefull, to ease those aching muscles on a long beat, and your travellor control/cleats should be easy to use.
I would make sure all the contols are on the ball before doing any cosmetic work but then just go for the lightest floorboard you can get, and tidy it up with a dab of paint.
Or do as Alan does make it look as tatty as you can and still thrash us...
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Rupert wrote:Spray the centreboard black, spray the mast black (and pretend it is Carbon) colour co-ordinate the toestraps and pussy pads, respray the floor (blue non slip is just so old hat) and generally make her into the sort of boat you feel ought to have black fluffy dice hanging from the kicker. That way, you get a real smile every time you take the (black, of course) cover off, and won't worry that nothing actually works...

£1.50 for cleats? Bugger, need some for the Lightning.
...and if you cant afford a decent waterproof "boom boy" system for your stereo, Charlie is probably still small enough to stuff through a hatch in the stern bouyancy tank. :twisted: The noise he will make trying to get out, kicking and hammering on the hull will make everyone thing you have a top of the range system!
Michael Brigg
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Brookesy wrote: The mast step is solid
unlike mine it pulled off last weekend (wobbly, ugh, but got ashore before it broke anything else) - first time I broke the Finn before it broke me!

[quote=""Brookesy"]
Or do as Alan does make it look as tatty as you can and still thrash us...[/quote]

that's my plan too.... but I'm getting at least 50% of the plan wrong somehow...
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Pat

Post by Pat »

I know exactly what you mean about
you start by just wondering about the possibility of just cleaning her up a little bit and before you know where you are you have plans for a major re-build in your head
. The Albacore was supposed to just clean up and then be our winter boat at Cheddar but then Sandy said he wants to do a few things to it and sort out the keelband and the odd knocks and give it a complete re-spray!
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Yes, I should assure both David and Alan, that my prime intention with this boat is to sail it.

that is why I waited for an old Plastic one rather than some of the very nice wooden ones that came up....

Ok.....well that and the price!

It isn't like I don't have enough other projects on the go....

But still it is in our nature as CVRDAers to think about these things.....and of course then to get totally and stupidly carried away with it.

I don't think I will do anything that is either expensive or has to be done professionally, so it is unlikely that I will replace or re-anodise the centre-plate.....but then again, I don't really think that dropping in new foam/carbon floorboards....or a new transom is really that hard or expensive.

I don't think it will ever be as beautiful as Grahams Vanguard.....just cos I like em a bit rough, but don't expect that horrible bit of blooody old teak to last long if the boat ever gets into my workshop.

cheers

eib

ps if I get the chance, I will put down the list of things I would like to do....and how likely it is that I will actually do them!

cheers
eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Ed,
I think you've got the wrong idea about pimping. You're talking about improving the boat, which is not proper pimping. As my friend did with a fairey, you should paint the hull purple, the decks mauve and then kit yourself out completely in pink or mauve sailing kit.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
ICLYM

Post by ICLYM »

Ed
Hate to say it, I was responsible for getting your Finn out of the bushes! Rumour has it your quite quick in it! You may have discovered the floor keeps the toestraps in, I glued some big nut fasteners under. Its worth checking these, swimming is not so good at this time of year. A new Hi tech floor would save weight as would a new set of straps and anchorages but surely sailing is more important.
The teak was nicely painted black I think when she got to me! Surely its better than the old Elvstrom rubber.

To really pimp her I would remove all the fittings, and pay a blast cleaning company like ARC to take all the paint off inside and out and start again, but hey budget,time, value, `sailing. I think the latter wins!

Ivan
ICLYM

Post by ICLYM »

Ed
Forgot to say, nice looking mylar transom flaps, and a comfy set of Pussy Pads will make her look quicker !