Int 14 spars

share hints, tips and experiences
rme_01

Int 14 spars

Post by rme_01 »

Following my post re mystery winch I have put some photos of K680 Maelstrom - Fairey 1957 on the web:

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/rmeastham ... g4Ss8qvuLQ#

Given her recent history, the hull is in pretty good shape and needs only cosmetic work however the rig is a different matter and I would appreciate any advice that is going!

The mast is tapered round section alloy with separate luff groove and single spreader rig – thin as a toothpick but not pretty and in poor condition (see photos). I believe 14’s of this age would have normally been diamond rigged but that single spreaders came in shortly after. Is this likely to be an example of an early one or is it just nicked off another boat? That said it does the job but given its poor condition is it feasible to re-anodise or should I be thinking of painting it?

The boom that came with the boat clearly didn’t belong and appeared to have been cut down from a small cruiser. I have however found a possible alternative being the one in the photos that looks a bit like the barrel of a 12 bore shotgun! I think it is one of the bendy booms that enjoyed a brief day in the sun in the 60’s before we learnt how to bend masts. I have no idea whether these ever found their way into the 14’s (I think this one comes from a flying fifteen) but it is the right length and with the raised foot groove matches the mast rather well! Any thoughts?

Robert
JimC

Re: Int 14 spars

Post by JimC »

The mast looks like a mid to late 70s Needlespar to me.
Those bendy booms were truly horrible: what *were* we thinking of (not that I ever had one!). Fine for display but I'd never sail with it, especially on a boom as long as a full rig 14.
STEVEB

Post by STEVEB »

Hi,
that mast looks solid enough to me, a vigorous clean off with a cream cleaner and an rough faced foam washing up pad will improve its appearance no end
Steve
STEVE
Mermaid 137
Laser 41420
Streaker 1331
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

Definitely a Needlespar, I would agree with steveb clean as described and finish off by liberal use uf WD40 sprayed all over and after wiping off the excess and you will be amazed at the results.
Needlespar are still around and now trade under the name of Hawk Marine Products on 02392 463864.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
rme_01

Post by rme_01 »

Thanks for that - i apologise for taking so long to come back but i am away from the boat at the moment. I will try the suggested treatment in the next week or two - it sounds very promising. With the mast sorted (it was indeed a needlespar) the issue remains the boom. I have yet to find anyone who had a bendy boom on a 14 but a Fifteen sailor i know confirms that they were indeed a disaster so I have ditched that idea and am now looking for a suitable replacement and would appreciate hearing from anyone who has one. From the filled holes there was evidently a track on the transom originally but the present system is a bridle at the stern with centre sheeting.

Robert
JimC

Post by JimC »

rme_01 wrote:am now looking for a suitable replacement and would appreciate hearing from anyone who has one. From the filled holes there was evidently a track on the transom originally but the present system is a bridle at the stern with centre sheeting.
Many booms just used a stiff mast section so a damaged Enterprise or whatever spar out of the club scrap pile would be a good bet. I imagine she was transom sheeted when new.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Robert,

let me konow the length of the boom you have (or better still, let me know the length of the boom you need) - I've a collection of old ally booms and am happy for one to come your way...

D
David H
rme_01

Post by rme_01 »

David

thanks for that - i will get it measured tomorrow and get back to you. the present arrangement is stern bridle and centre sheeting but I am intending to return to the original transom sheeting as suggested.

Robert
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I have a horrible kestrel boom which I have abandoned in gfavour of a slightly less horrible fireball one. It would probably be right size etc. Let me know if you want it?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
rme_01

Post by rme_01 »

have you ever thought of becoming a salesman?! Thanks for the offer I will get back to you on that

Robert
rme_01

Post by rme_01 »

Hi David

Sorry to be a bit long getting back on this - I tried the email function but i think it got lost when the site went down and have since been away. The boom length is 10ft (a smidgeon over 3m in new money) and i would certainly be interested in anything you have about that size that might suit.