Vintage 14 Mast dimensions...

share hints, tips and experiences
JimC

Vintage 14 Mast dimensions...

Post by JimC »

I need to start thinking about a new 14 mast for my mate wh has an early 60s 14... We''ve got a couple on the forum haven't we... I would be very grateful for detailed dimensions, jib halyard, kite halyard, spreader types and locations if anyone has time...
Ed
Site Admin

Re: Vintage 14 Mast dimensions...

Post by Ed »

Afraid, I don't have my 14 anymore.....

But I do have the Int14 history book that might have some measurements if that helps.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I can get that info. Aggie's mast is here on the garage roof. It might mean donning my spiderwoman outfit for the journey, but that's no hardship...
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
rme_01

Post by rme_01 »

sorry you didn't send yours a couple of days earlier as I was looking at the Andrew Thornhill collection on Sunday and there were more classic 14 masts lying around there than I have had hot dinners. Strange business that collection but that's another story.

Do I gather you are building a new mast for your friend's 14 or have I got the wrong end of the stick (no pun intended!). The reason I ask is that I was vaguely thinking of replacing the single spreader needlespar that came with my (1957) 14 with something more appropriate (e.g a triple spreader wooden job) and would be interested to know what you are doing.

Incidentally in the meantime I am after an alloy boom to match the needlespar to get her sailing if anyone has one.

Robert.
clibb

Post by clibb »

Jim, here are a few measurements from my Shdi, #839. They are a little arbitrary as the mast neither sits on the floor nor on the deck, but is suspended somewhere halfway between on a longitudinal deck-bridge joining the main bulkhead and the centreboard case. As best as I can measure, then, from the inside floor:

Overall mast height 7620

Upper Diamond
Top 6640
diamond 4912
bottom 3040

Lower diamond
Top 4912
diamond 3040
bottom 1220

Main spreader 2960
Main spreader wire top 4912

Genoa block 4914

Spinnaker block 4980

Trapeze wires 4926

Pole ring 1400

The gooseneck is, of course, on a slider, so no direct measurement.

Hope this helps. As you can see, it's a bit busy around the 4900 mark ! I'm happy to re-measure if any seem wildly wrong.

Nick C
JimC

Post by JimC »

rme_01 wrote:Do I gather you are building a new mast for your friend's 14
Well, not a *new* one. He's currently using a National 12 rig which is actually good for what he's doing (and suprisingly looks good too) but sooner or later it would be good to have the 14 rags out. A second hand tin tube is going to be the way to go, number of spreaders TBC, so if you don't want to keep your metal tube as a spare that would be perfect!

As for a boom, the classic budget option is a mast that's been broken at deck level: chop at the sail entry for the inner end... I did have an ISO mast in said condition, not sure if I still have it, I think it might have gone to the mate's 14!

[later]

Anyway, thanks all for the info:-)
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Robert, I have a needlespar boom from a 1973 phantom, if that is any use?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
rme_01

Post by rme_01 »

Thanks Nessa - i will email you re the needlespar