rot?

share hints, tips and experiences
GAv

Re: rot?

Post by GAv »

SoggyBadger wrote:
GAv wrote:but don't invite Grumf, he would be there with relish...
No. The really cunning thing to do would be to get him to attend and then sit everyone down to watch a Swallows and Amazons DVD :twisted:
Last edited by GAv on Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Lets keep GRF away from here, shall we, and the nonsense posts he seems to draw out of people? The Y&Y forum works well sometimes with trolls, this forum doesn't, as it doesn't have the critical mass of people. Mind, sometimes I think Y&Y will loose that when people get bored with the wrangles.

Let us know whether the hull will dry out, Nessa - don't be too quick to throw away, as it is amazing what evaporation can do.
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Hi Nessa...common, what is the gen on the new Mboat (be it a mirror 14 or marauder) - how bad, or hopefully - how good is it?

D
David H
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I have a lovely little business card for Peter Nunn from the Products section of the Mirror Group, with the Mirror logo on it and 'Herewith information you requested, Happy Sailing'. It is attached to the rigging instructions. How much use the rest of the boat will be remains to be seen. Various bits dropped off on the way home. I do now have a top cover, a trolley, a mast, a woodworm infested wooden boom and a mainsail and jib. I also have a tiller which snapped off the stock as I put in the car, a rudder and a centreboard. I can't work out how to get the centreboard out of the boat.

Nothing to indicate a sail number. There is a sticker saying 'wfsa '85' presumably from a club in that area, which is where it has always been kept.

I will let you know more when I have done more poking. I intend to poke it until bits stop dropping off, then see what's left!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
JimC

Post by JimC »

Nessa wrote: I can't work out how to get the centreboard out of the boat.
By the sounds of things you may be able to remove the boat from the centreboard [grin]. Good luck!
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

hmm you might be right Jim.

Sail number is 195 - it was on the sail bag!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

the poor thing has obviously been left lying with its stern on the ground inside a leaky shed. The result is that the floorboards in the back 25% of the boat, in the centre, have pretty much rotted through, though the side tanls and decking are sound. The centreboard case and the structure of the crew floor is sound. There has obviously been a drip onto one side of the crew floor though, because there is a rectangle of rot measuring about 20" x 10" which I have pulled out. The foredeck is all sound as is the hull forwards of the thwart.

The crewfloor is an easy fix - it needs a new piece of ply. The bigger question is whther or not I can take out the rotten floor at the back and replace it with new ply. If I can, and if it's not a tough job, then it will all be a far easier fix than the hull I already have which ahs random holes everywhere. Presumably since this was a kit boat the floor ought to be straightforward. Or am I being naively optimistic.

I do get fed up of sellers who bemoan the fate of their lovely family craft and say what a shame it is to see it in such a state. They left it there to rot, what do they expect!!!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
roger

Post by roger »

Nessa, When I replaced the floor of my first Hornet it was relatively simple although it didnt have the complications of side tanks. Being ply on frame it should be reasonably straight forward. Good luck with it. Any chance you can just replace the rotten bits?
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
SoggyBadger

Post by SoggyBadger »

I think ease of replacement of that part of the floor is going to depend on how much curvature the hull takes at that point. From photos I'd imagine it's pretty flat.
Best wishes

SB