Pimp my Merlin!

share hints, tips and experiences
davidh

Pimp my Merlin!

Post by davidh »

Well, the Merlins may be getting into a bit of a stew elsewhere BUT here at least work is now in hand on Smokey Bear! I've sanded down about 18" of one of the planks on the outside of the hull, masked it off and applied a fairly thick coat of 545 two pot high biuld primer. If this pickles the pain underneath then the job will progress in a somewhat different direction.

IN the meantime, the hull is just about stripped bare (the bride stripped bare even?) and the first stages of work to identify who to restore a very tired looking interior is starting!

How long do we have until Bristol Avon?

Hopefully, by then it will be "don't come near the boat, you might scratch it!"

D
Attachments
smokey r2.JPG
Smokey R1.JPG
David H
Ed
Site Admin

Re: Pimp my Merlin!

Post by Ed »

Hi David,

So....are you using walnut shells? If so, when do we get to hear how it went and see photos??

Interested to hear you say....if I understood right...

that you were stripping and then re-coating in stages (strips of 18ins). How is this going? I have often considered this, but always come to the conclusion that it wasn't such a good idea, due to all the 'edges' between one coat and another.

What is you thoughts on this?

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I read it as a test area?

I can see Bristol Avon coming and going well before completion, I'm afraid...Its a great shape boat, though - well worth the effort (well, if any of them are...).
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Sorry Ed, Rupert had this right: The area that I'd done was purely as a test to see if the 545 (which is epoxy based two pot) would 'pickle' whatever was underneath. I'll take a close up of the patch so that the effects - if any, can be seen!

This weekend will be the big decider as to what happens next; there could be an accident with a gallon of acetone and a box of matches (as in - start again with another hull) or else work will commence and once started - I'd expect to see some fairly rapid progress. SupercrewJon is coming down - of course in a previous life he was indeed a boat builder up at Oulton Broad so once there are two sets of hands working on this, miracles can happen!

So, much as 'Team Smokey' hates to dissapoint you all.... we'll be there for Bristol Avon! (look for a boat on the start line sheathed in bubble wrap - to avoid scratching!)

D
David H
davidh

Post by davidh »

Okay, the good news is that Smokey now has four patches - two on the hull (one on the blue, one on the white) to see if there is any reaction to the 545 primer - and then two on the varnishwork. The decks should be okay as these were epoxied but you never know!

and the news so far is.....good - no evidence of 'pickling' - so work can continue!

Pics to follow

D
David H
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

At last - a Marcel Duchamp reference! One of my great heroes from art college, in large part because I went the wrong way round the Tate retrospective and came to the Bride from the dust side not the paint side.
John
davidh

Post by davidh »

John,

you get it all on here!

D
David H
chris

Post by chris »

I quess you have stuck everything back on and also stopped the leak since this photo was taken. I seem to remember you were leaking more than Iska that day and were struggling to get away from me to boot!
Whitefriars10 sm.JPG
(70.53 KiB) Not downloaded yet
davidh

Post by davidh »

Gosh Chris...yes.... I remember that day all too well.

The leak was done and most of the bits that Roger didn't pull off were destroyed by SupercrewJon - with a little help from me along the way. After an annoying problem in Race 1 at Bough Beech, the boat hen held together okay for the even windier races 2&3 so I think we've identified most of the weaknesses.

A bigger worry Chris is what will happen to all the pre-epoxy but wide Merlins - rig loads are high and the old glues are getting ready to give up the ghost....

When we refit Smokey Bear, what can be bolted will be (rather than screwed) - but I worry that even that will not be enough for the sort of rough treatment that can get meted out on a breezey days such as Bough Beech

D
David H
chris

Post by chris »

Indeed, that must be true of all classes. Roger,s Shoestring is a case in point. What hadn't already failed could be released with a twist of knife in the joint - the seams pinged open about a foot either side.I'm sure that one is cascamite. I had great fun helping him take it apart, then left in hurry!
MR 507, being about the oldest glued merlin is still holding together but when I first rebuilt her (I can't believe its getting on for twenty years now) the new transom and all deck supports etc were epoxied. The hull planking is staying together because Jack Holt screwed it all together. Everywhere there would have been a rivet there's a brass screw. What isn't staying together that well is the actual plywood used. J H told me he used what was called Thames Ply. It is delaminating. In some placed it is just the bond between layers but in othe places its the inner layer is not so rot proof as the mahogany outer layers, probably after water has got in once the glue has opened up. We did put our feet through the hull in two places last year so the planking is gradually getting replaced in three foot sections.
When I restored half cut that had done the merlin thing of folding up a bit. One seem had gone either side, fortunately just where the reinforcing tread strip is which gave something solid epoxy and screw into.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

When you say the ply is giving away......I presume you mean the hull?

you have already re-decked 507, havn't you.

that is interesting. I have not seen that problem much. MR 638 and 999 both seemed to have rock-hard ply in the hulls.

There was an interesting thread about ply giving up the ghost on the MR forum when I looked.

A source of much discussion me thinks.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
davidh

Post by davidh »

Hi Chris....on the subject of 'Pimping the Merlin' (gosh, it is like 'sexing up the subject - another topic there, how esturary english got replaced by Channel 4 speak) - thought that this might bring a smile as it is Gently in her heyday....with Jack ono the helm.

D
Attachments
180828_109000355843023_100001991779530_65789_8084355_n.jpg
(26.73 KiB) Not downloaded yet
David H
chris

Post by chris »

Ah yes. and page 8 and I'm sure 9 in the merlin book.

He's a page that has Gently and Iska in the first nationals at Hayling Island. Iska was known as Replica then but the captionin the centre has mistakenly identified her as the prototype.

I think the page also shows no. 8 which is still listed for sale on the merlin site,
And if anyone is interested in no. 40, a Woottens Merlin she is for sale (about £100) Much work has been done but some more is needed let me know and I can tell you more.

Agh! picture file too big will try again.
chris

Post by chris »

Try again!
The captions keep calling no. 6 Merlin which is wrong as well.
Gently is top right, Iska middle left and bottom right.
YW mag 1946.JPG
davidh

Post by davidh »

CHris....

now I am getting worried - the next 'big' task is the construction of a new gunwale over maybe a 4ft or 5ft length.......

So in the meantime, I've been working on the outside of the hull and the condition of the planking is remarkably good once you get under the layers of paint - it is more akin to drilling for oil you have to go down so far!

A morning's work should see the outside of the hull done, then the boat should be ready to take over to another shed for 3 swift coats of high build primer. Oh what fun - that will need taking back with wet and dry - all of a sudden you start to wish that the hull was less wide!

Think it is time I had a break from all this and came up to see you and Roger...how is the diary looking?

D
David H