Water Repellant on Cotton Sails

share hints, tips and experiences
Stephen Hawkins

Water Repellant on Cotton Sails

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

I have just aquired a new (new to me - not new) set of cotton sails for the National 12, a 1949 set of Ratsey's :D

I was wondering, after I bunged them through the washing machine to rid them of that old 'mustiness' and hopefully turn them a bit lighter, is it worth treating them with a water repellant like you used to do with old tents?

The main thing is that at least I have a cotton jib.

the number on the main is 839, so I need to get some new rumbers really. Can you use those stick on ones that you use on more modern sails?

Cheers
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
Bill-Conner

Re: Water Repellant on Cotton Sails

Post by Bill-Conner »

And miss the joy of drying wet cotton sails after every sail?
chris

Post by chris »

The numbers are easy enough to cut out of thin black cloth and stitch. To help I spray them with photo mount to hold them in place whilst stitching. I wouldn't suggest the stick on ones for a cotton sail.

I'm never sure about washing and or treating cotton sails. They do loose something after washing with clothes soap powder. I have been told to do nothing by one person, starch them by another and so on. I've never dared putting them in the washing mashine though. After a few uses the mustiness goes and then make sure they are aired before putting them away in a very dry place - under the piano works well for me - till I get told to move them! I've only washed one sail and that was because it had a lot of mildew some of which had turned whole areas black. I soaked it in the bath for a weekend in a hand wash powder which did clean it.

Part of the problem with washing them is drying them as they will probably change shape and they do go rather soft too. I was advised to suspend an old mast horizontally stretch the luff and hang the wet sail with weights on the leech to shape/reshape/stretch the sail. This I have done and can say it is worth the effort. Areas that have gone baggy can be reshaped. I think they could easily end up with an altered shape if they were just slung over a washing line.

Not sure about water proofing them though.
You can't get better than Ratseys so if they feel nice and firm I wouldn't do much just let the air get to them to freshen them. Don't forget the jib luff wire will be galvanised and can rust. if the eyes or rings are rusty try a little linseed oil on those bits.
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

The model yacht people used to soak them in varnish! If you must do something then you could soak them in that tent/canvas stuff that camping shops sell. Not sure if it will work. The best solution is to use them on very very calm days and don't drop them in the water.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I would definitely not use stick on numbers. I would suggest an e-mail to Kevan Bloor (ex. Alverbank sails). What Kevan does not know about 12 sails is not worth knowing. I have always found him very helpful. His address is: ntoa@national12.org

Mike Liggett.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

National 839 (Little John design),from where your sails came from, is out of class, having been turned into a motor boat!

Mike Liggett
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

Thanks for the info. I need to get some stains out of the nmain as well. They like they are oil based, like old dirty grease or something. I will try a bit of clean spirit and see if that will shift them.

I have picked the oil numbers off, which was a job in itself.

Cheers
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"