Tarpaulins for the winter

share hints, tips and experiences
Ed
Site Admin

Tarpaulins for the winter

Post by Ed »

Now must be the time when many of us are looking at those tarps.....and thinking...."Will they do another winter".

the answer is 'no'. If you are thinking it....we both know it is more than a year old....and it will give out this winter. You won't notice....and damage will be done. This is the voice of experience.

So always buy at least a couple of new tarps each year and double them up if necessary with last years on top and rags under any the tarp on any sharp bits.

OK. I know I am teaching eggs to suck grandma...

but what you might not know is that Bradshaws Tarps have 10% off for online sails till Monday the 14th.

http://www.tarpaulinsdirect.co.uk/

They are good tarps, used others, but always come back to these.

They are normally the full specified size, unlike some....and the Topgrade have always lasted me at least one winter.

Oh....and the promotional code?

try: TPNV11

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
SoggyBadger

Re: Tarpaulins for the winter

Post by SoggyBadger »

I don't use a tarp. I use shed roofing felt. It's 100% waterproof and doesn't seem to cause sweating or condensation. Worked like a charm last winter.
Best wishes

SB
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

nice tip,

always thought it was too heavy/stiff and likely to break??

Good to know that it has worked for you.

what I do have and use is dampcourse plastic sheeting. this is cheap, waterproof and strong.

My current sculling boat cover is made from it and it works well.

But tarps are still the easiest to use.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
SoggyBadger

Post by SoggyBadger »

Shed felt is thinner (thus lighter and more flexible) than the normal roof felt. The only problems I've had have been at the edges where it tears easily, especially where the tie-down ropes run over it. I've been experimenting with reinforcing those areas with inch-wide webbing stapled on. This seems to work well.
Best wishes

SB
Pat

Post by Pat »

All our tarps come from In-Excess (branches in Salisbury, Southampton,Christchurch etc.) which is a source of many useful items at bargain prices. They are available in various sizes and thicknesses.
A 5m by 7m extra thick one is currently re-roofing the "tent" containing the wide Merlin and a 4m x 3m ordinary one is used as a groundsheet for the awning when camping. Another two are covering a boat whilst the proper cover is being repaired and re-proofed.
Paints, brushes, thinners, tools, gardening equipment, household cleaners and cloths - they have an ever changing Aladdin's cave of things.
kfz

Post by kfz »

Just got a cheapie to go over the existing cover. Wickes, (try not to go in there, as I find the staff particularly rude and unhelpful), try not to go in there but 5 by 4 for £10.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

In my very humble opinion...

I have had nothing but problems using cheap tarps.

It only takes the smallest hole and the effectiveness is compromised....I am sure that this is just me....but there are a few things I really don't like compromising on.....car batteries come to mind, but top of the list is tarps.

A tarp with a hole in it, is worse than no tarp. If there is no tarp, at least you are aware of it, a tarp with a hole and you think you are OK, whilst your boat is getting wetter and wetter.....more an more damaged.

Stick to at least 200g/m tarps and that pretty much means avoiding all the cheap 'builders-yard' tarps.

And change them every year!

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
Pat

Post by Pat »

Stick to at least 200g/m tarps and that pretty much means avoiding all the cheap 'builders-yard' tarps.
Agreed! The thicker, coated ones such as our "tent" roof are sooooo much better. But even thinner ones have their uses - just don't expect them to last.