Repair of Glued Clinker Ply Hull

share hints, tips and experiences
wilfbishop1

Repair of Glued Clinker Ply Hull

Post by wilfbishop1 »

Hi Guys,

I would like to get some views on a repair scheme I am proposing for a glued cllinker ply hull where the two bottom glued clinker ply strakes and the hog have been subjected to standing water for sometime (boat stored in the open bow down I guess?) and are now totally rotton. The boat is the original Sail No1 Cornish Cormorant prototype glued clinker ply dinghy which is an out & out cruising dinghy not a racing dinghy (apologies). I already have a GRP Cormorant Sail No 78 which I really enjoy sailing. The strake curvature in the bow region is best shown in the attached photo of of my GRP Cormorant - this will give someidea of the strake curvatures involved in this proposedrepair.

As I see it there are two feasible options for the replacement of this extensive rotted hull forefoot zone:

Option 1 - Remove the foredeck to gain access to the forefoot zone and create a number of dummy frames tailored to the existing rotted strakes & hog and replace the hog & strakes in the traditional way one strake at a time.

Option 2 - Take a polyester/glass "splash" mould from the exterior of the rotted forefoot zone and using this mould laminate by vacuum-bag methods a complete "pre-made" clinker ply replica bow forfoot section port & starboard then replace the rotted sections one side at a time. The only major snag I can anticiapate with this method is that there will inevitably be a degree of "spring-back" even though I intendto make up these sections from two layers of marine ply epoxy bondedtogether to help achieve thre required strake curvatures.

I have a signifcnat degree of expereince with these type of techniques but I would appreciate any helpful comments that memebers of our group could contribute on the pros & cons of these two approaches?

The previous owner was advised by a number of people that repair would be far too costly and he was advised to burn the boat but I feel that this is such a lovely little "elderly gentleman's dinghy" that I am asuitable "elderly gentleman" (70next birthday)to undertake this rescue & refurbishment.

All comments & contributions from our extensive data base of practical expereince very welcome.

Many thanks,

Wilf Bishop
Attachments
Shot of bow forefoot region -Cornish Cormorant
Shot of bow forefoot region -Cornish Cormorant
Obscured by clouds

Re: Repair of Glued Clinker Ply Hull

Post by Obscured by clouds »

IMO I'd stick to option one. Either way it's a difficult but not impossible job.

I'd also go over to the woodenboat forum and seek advice there too, you will get a broad range of opinions

http://forum.woodenboat.com/
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
Ed
Site Admin

Re: Repair of Glued Clinker Ply Hull

Post by Ed »

It shouln't be too hard....and certainly not impossible.

but do you have any photos of the actual boat and the damage?

If you can't see too much with the decks on, you could always try sticking a compact digital camera down the bow and taking a few photos blind.

Initially I really like the sound of (2).....but suspect that (1) will give you more room to work it out as you go.

But do try and send some more photos.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it