making a cradle

share hints, tips and experiences
Nessa

making a cradle

Post by Nessa »

I need to make a cradle for one (or more) of the flotilla. Can anyone give me advice on the best way to take the shape from the hull of the recipient dinghy? Should the cradle be moulded in situ on the dinghy, and if so, what is the best protectant layer between dinghy and cradle, or is there another way?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Graham T

Re: making a cradle

Post by Graham T »

trolley cradle or storage/working platform?
Graham T
Osprey 1340, Osprey 1245, Osprey 55, Miracle 1358, Laser heap, ancient Mirror kit half assembled, Project Miracle in need of decks........
Kielder Water Sailing Club
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

sorry, cradle for a launching trolley.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
chris

Post by chris »

boat upside down, polythene or cling film even as barrier, lay up resin and glass.
Graham T

Post by Graham T »

In which case what Chris said.....

I tend to lay whatever I am using as a cushion (Astroturf preferably, or sleeping mat foam) on the hull, cover with polythene or indeed clingfilm and lay up on top of that so I know it all fits. A couple of layers of CSM, then stiffening and mounting points with more CSM over the lot. Trim the edges and glue the padding on.

For working cradles I use some polythene over the hull. timber cut very roughly to shape and a can of expanding foam to fill between the two. Very quick to do and supports the hull perfectly.
Graham T
Osprey 1340, Osprey 1245, Osprey 55, Miracle 1358, Laser heap, ancient Mirror kit half assembled, Project Miracle in need of decks........
Kielder Water Sailing Club
JimC

Post by JimC »

Personally I make mine from plywood and stripwood. Use carboard to make a template at the right place (large cardboard boxes eg supermarkets, computer dealerships or I imagine white goods shops, all will let you take some of their rubbish of their hands, and make a support to shape, then two layers of 3mm ply laminated in place with waterproof wood glue... Assuming a layer of artifical grass I don't bother about the odd half inch here or there.
Pat

Post by Pat »

And just to be different the cradle on our main travelling combi trolley is made from wide flat electrical trunking!
Covered with astroturf it has lasted for years and done hundreds of miles.

Astroturf supplier - we bought a roll at the motorhome show at Shepton Mallet - http://www.efrrubberrecycling.co.uk
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)