FLYING FIFTEEN

share hints, tips and experiences
brooksideballoonist

FLYING FIFTEEN

Post by brooksideballoonist »

Hi all!

Following the restauration of my Wildfire I have now taken on an early Flying Fifteen s/n 905 made by Copland in 1966.

As before I would appreciate some input regarding the rigging/fitting out of the boat from owners of a similar boat.
Most bits appear to be there but I am unsure of the control arrangements/sheets all of which are missing.
There appears to be a number of cleats and fairleads mounted on the hull where I am unsure what they are for!

The rudder, stock and tiller are also missing and I would appreciate some advice regarding making these from scratch, because I imagine that they will be difficult to find.
If you have a Flying Fifteen of this era I would be grateful if you could forward some dimensions for the rudder/stock/tiller,
or better still in the form of a full size tracing of the rudder shape on a piece of paper?

All advice and help would be appreciated.

Best wishes
billytwiglet

Re: FLYING FIFTEEN

Post by billytwiglet »

If you belong to a club with plenty of flying fifteens (Bewl for example) you may find that there are spare/old replaced foils and rigs around, not to mention decent used sails from the front of the fleet. Where are you?
Merlin 36
Merlin 220
Merlin Rocket 3137
Finn K95
brooksideballoonist

Hi John

Thank you for your useful suggestion. I am near Peterborough and will investigate where my nearest club(s) is.

Regards

Werner
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Your nearest club with a large fleet of 15's is Grafham Water. Middle Nene SC at Thrapston also has a fleet of 15's many of which are classic.
brooksideballoonist

Thank you Mikey for that useful info.
ICLYM

Post by ICLYM »

Hi

I have a rudder complete with stock and head fitting which I think are from a Copland. You can e mail or call me on 07802263986

Ivan