Keelson Replacement

share hints, tips and experiences
Adamastor

Keelson Replacement

Post by Adamastor »

I've finally had an objective look at my new project's bottom (http://raroa.wordpress.com) and the prognosis is, while not terminal, more of a case like when a Physician calls one's spouse in to the room during a consultation.
My elderly Enterprise's hull is pretty sound, besides the usual nonsense of checked ply and a few other bits, but when I turned her over and removed the C/B gasket the Hard Red Meranti keelson was about as much use as candyfloss.
I have consulted a few experts and they say it's a bit of a job, but it's within my skillset to replace said chunk of wood.
Has anyone got any reference material, advice, or better yet, pictures? I won't have to replace the bottom planks, but I will have to at least rebuild the C/B case and I have read the prescribed coursework on that! (Thanks guys, for the CVRDA Forums!)
My plan is to hunt down the thru-fastenings, spile up a new keelson, and then surgically remove the old unit with Tool#1 and 7- the trusty angle-grinder with sanding disk, and then excise the remnants with a hand-plane and chisel. Is this the "proper" approach?
(I'm hoping to be able to document the process for future, but I'm notoriously bad at it- preferring to make progress, not art!)
Graham T

Re: Keelson Replacement

Post by Graham T »

It sounds like my sort of approach. The only thing I would suggest is ensuring the hull is sufficiently braced and supported when removing the c/b case and lumps of Keelson. Boats do like to assume new shapes if you turn your back on them whilst major supporting bits are removed.....

Graham
Graham T
Osprey 1340, Osprey 1245, Osprey 55, Miracle 1358, Laser heap, ancient Mirror kit half assembled, Project Miracle in need of decks........
Kielder Water Sailing Club
sam mason

Post by sam mason »

Nothing to it. Boat upside down (obviously) Start at the back with a chisel as large as you can find (1 1/2" ish) and our trusty mallet. drive the chisel under the keel at the transome and twist it a bit.The keel, if it is rotten will come off in bits or if it is not rotten will come off in one lump usually tearing the screws out as it goes. Any reluctant screws are best removed with mole grips The screws SHOULD be in a domino 5 pattern ie 2-1-2 to the back of the cb case . If you do not have the Enterprise plans measure the keel before you start. From memory its not very complicated. The timber under the keel is normally sodden on an old boat so take great care when removing things. Let it dry out properly before replacing the keel. I would use a nice bit of Douglas fir ( Colombian pine if you are posh!) and epoxy or Balcotan or whatever its called these days
Unless the boat is dropping to bits or has no decks on I have found no point in bracing hulls for c/b case removal
Sam
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

sam mason wrote:Nothing to it. Boat upside down (obviously) Start at the back with a chisel as large as you can find (1 1/2" ish) and our trusty mallet. drive the chisel under the keel at the transome and twist it a bit.The keel, if it is rotten will come off in bits or if it is not rotten will come off in one lump usually tearing the screws out as it goes. Any reluctant screws are best removed with mole grips The screws SHOULD be in a domino 5 pattern ie 2-1-2 to the back of the cb case . If you do not have the Enterprise plans measure the keel before you start. From memory its not very complicated. The timber under the keel is normally sodden on an old boat so take great care when removing things. Let it dry out properly before replacing the keel. I would use a nice bit of Douglas fir ( Colombian pine if you are posh!) and epoxy or Balcotan or whatever its called these days
Unless the boat is dropping to bits or has no decks on I have found no point in bracing hulls for c/b case removal
Sam
These aren't complete but might carry some useful information, and at the current price you wont go very far wrong.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Enterprise-sa ... 500wt_1413
Michael Brigg