Fixed Spreaders

share hints, tips and experiences
Stephen Hill

Post by Stephen Hill »

Anyone know of an easy way to adjust the fixed spreaders on a needlespar mast? I have been trying to set up the mast on my old merlin and I can seem to move the spreaders. I am not exactly weak and feeble but the only way I can see of bending them is to take the mast off the boat and use a piece of pipe to give me more leverage.

Any advice would be appreciated

Steve
roger

Post by roger »

Hi Stephen,

I have a needle spar mast on the Hornet. It is very difficult to adjust them. On mine the spreaders are flat and the ends near the mast have been filed down to allow adjustment. This is still not very satisfactory. Sorry I cant be more help. i expect someone else here will have some ideas.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Chris M

Post by Chris M »

Bend them!
JimC

Post by JimC »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stephen Hill</i>
<br />Anyone know of an easy way to adjust the fixed spreaders on a needlespar mast?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Most fixed spreader spars have two bolts on each spreader and you just dril another hole. Or is this some sort of rigid socket arrangement?
roger

Post by roger »

Stephen,

Jim is right mine do have two bolts but they also are in an open socket. Mine have been filed down in the past to make room in the socket. I have to say I am not very impressed with the needlespar it is too bendy and heavy. There must be some spare merlin masts lying about on a wreck somewhere.

Roger
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

There are some for sale on the for sale bit of this forum...
Rupert