Basket Case. magnum 9.9 international moth rebuild.

share hints, tips and experiences
makerofthings

Re: Basket Case. magnum 9.9 international moth rebuild.

Post by makerofthings »

well, this evening finally I went for a sail.
I'd forgotton how stupid the launching process is, with the immediate inevitable multiple capsizes , having got myself sorted out I made my way out into the small amount of wind[ 2-3] to find that she sails beautifuly, she was an absolute joy, so smooth, so little wake and splashing... she felt super quick, a massive difference from before the rebuild, all the controls worked great, and absolutely nothing broke!
nothing creaked, all the wing frame repairs held up... I am amazed!
can't gybe it yet without falling in, but my tacking is improving.
i am hoping to get to the roadford meet so would love to see any other brave mothists that could make it..
cheers. Dan
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Really glad you've got her going!

Roadford is on 16th 17th June.

However, it would be up to the Roadford organizers as to whether you'd be allowed to take part, as the boat is a lot more recent than the 1985 cut off date. It might be that they would welcome you as a guest, joining in with the racing, but not counting in on the scoring, but as each event has a certain amount of freedom to fit in with local needs, it would really be up to them what the policy would be.
Rupert
makerofthings

Post by makerofthings »

ha yea.. figured that would be the case,
however as I don't have a competitive bone in my body I wouldn't be to fussed about scoring.. just would be nice to sail with some other boats of a similar ilk.
as mine is obsolete within its own class it kinda fits under the cvrda wing...
at the mo I have booked myself for that weekend so will most likely be there....
am really looking forward to it.. hopefully will have had a little more practice by then also.
cheers. dan.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

So does a lowrider moth not count as a lost class?

I am allowing various 'guests' at Hunts, including two wooden single floor phantoms. I think having the guest option is a good idea.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
makerofthings

Post by makerofthings »

Nessa wrote:So does a lowrider moth not count as a lost class?

I am allowing various 'guests' at Hunts, including two wooden single floor phantoms. I think having the guest option is a good idea.

I reckon!.. I think its obsolete and plywood nature definitely renders it a classic,I suppose so long as the handicap is acceptable...
in the moth history thread a handicap for mine is thought to be about 1000...
not sure what this equates to though, its been about 15 years since i last raced.
Pat

Post by Pat »

1985 still applies to lost classes I believe, but Nessa's got it spot on - it's down to the event organisers to dictate what sails at their event.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Pat, is there a way for me to get hold of pYs and software ready for our open next weekend??

panic stricken at how soon it suddenly is.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

The PY's are on the website http://www.cvrda.org/wp-cvrda/?page_id=98 with links to spreadsheets, sailwave and the like.

You might want to take a good look down the list of handicaps and see if any are plainly wrong for your stretch of water for boats you know are coming - a 505 would struggle on 81, for instance!
Rupert
makerofthings

Post by makerofthings »

Pat wrote:1985 still applies to lost classes I believe, but Nessa's got it spot on - it's down to the event organisers to dictate what sails at their event.
fair.. again.. will be a pleasure to sail with others of a similar ilk...
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

In some senses, by making the rules simple (designed before 65, built before 85 for most, and designed and built before 85 for the lost classes (being defined as classes with no CA or organized racing of their own) we make things understandable, but maybe let some boats of interest slip through the net. This is where organizers of events having leeway to make things fit to their local needs comes in - allowing a couple of old woonen Phantoms at Hunts makes sense as they are keen to get out there, just as allowing a too modern Int Moth to join at an event where there would be other Moths going might also make sense as a one off.
Rupert
Pat

Post by Pat »

Nessa I've emailed you the latest handicaps - I need to check if the web is right up to date.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
makerofthings

Post by makerofthings »

Well... what fun! As Ineed the practice I thought on sunday it was good to try the 5 gusting 6 situation again,
I managed to make it on to the water this time with no breakages only to find that an alteration to my mast rake had made the boat unsailable, constantly sailing into the wind then constanly capsising, I ended up having to sail in as straight a line as possible towards a beach I could see in the far distance on the carrick roads as it was impossible to tack.. finally after a fight and much frustration on the beach I managed to re rig the boat and get back on the water..
this is where I found out that the boat is a terrifying rocket in this sort of wind, I flew at times faster than ever before and capsised and crashed in just about all the ways you can crash a boat, some of the gusts just plain knocked me flat, I fell on it,fell off the back of it, pitchpoled,broached,wheeleed,,, truly mental, but enjoyed it so much I had to force myself to go ashore.... finally when I did try to sail in I capsised in the midst of some moored yachts and the contact broke my prodder....
I think in the three hours I sailed I probably capsised as many as 40 times, and I have been a bit broken ever since..
however. the bug has bit... and I think there is wind tomorow........
cheers. D
roger

Post by roger »

Fantastic!!! I bet you ache all over.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Mad as a box of frogs... Glad you are enjoying it!
Rupert
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Maker of Things
You would be very welcome at Roadford. Please see new post on events page. You would find yourself among several old large ex-mothies ( we now sail Finn's), and I see no reason why you should not race with us. However we would not be able to give you a placing due to the fact that your boat is not old enough.
Regards Al CVRDA Organiser of Meeting
Last edited by alan williams on Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.