Basket Case. magnum 9.9 international moth rebuild.

share hints, tips and experiences
makerofthings

Re: Basket Case. magnum 9.9 international moth rebuild.

Post by makerofthings »

wicked, will be a pleasure to sail with you... not to concerned about a placing as I will be last anyway... just be good to blitz around a course with you.. ... yes. I still ache all over...
cheers. d.
GaryT

Post by GaryT »

What a transformation and glad you are now having so much fun now it's fixed. I actually looked at buying this boat but being based in Scotland decided it was a bit far!! I am still looking but just can't seem to find the right boat.

Anyway I was looking through some archive photo's (I think PaulM provided the link on here somewhere) and if you look at picture 51 of the Skippy 2 at the dinghy show there is a poster in the background with 4009 on it. Just thought it might be of interest :D

http://web.archive.org/web/200710060109 ... vepics.htm

Cheers

Gary
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

4009 also features in the Dinghy and Dayboat Directory, from 1997.
Rupert
makerofthings

Post by makerofthings »

Amazing... serious eagle eyes!
yes. I'm very interested in any history of the boat, as one of the last of the magnums and one of the first boats with carbon wings and rig I think she is quite a historic beast, also being plywood she is at the end of an era ..there can't be that many left, and judging by the state mine was in I would think they are only going to get rarer,
I would love to see some pics of that dinghy directory page, and have downladed the one on the moth website... I still don't have its original name, but as I have given her a second life giving a second name feels good to me..
I'm also going to get in touch with John Claridge and see if he has any history..
Gary, I think you were lucky not to buy her, you may have been dissapointed at how close to dead she was. I don't think she would have done another season as she was without breaking up..
cheers.
Dan.

sailed again last night.. no breakages, she really feels solid, I feel really happy to push her hard..
I'm definitely getting better too, only capsised 10 times or so and that was with me practicing my manouveres,, the only word I could keep saying to myself..was wonderful... wonderful boat.. wonderful sail...
GaryT

Post by GaryT »

No problem Dan, glad to help.

I think you are right about it being for the best not purchasing the boat. It was a real shame it was in such a state as it looked lovely from all the pictures I was sent.

Anyway glad you are enjoying the boat now it is back together. I am very jealous especially now you are having a blast sailing her. Hopefully one will appear very soon that I can purchase.

Cheers

Gary
makerofthings

Post by makerofthings »

Well good luck to you, if you do look at any plywood ones look out for soft spots, and check the daggerboard casing well cos mine was shot..both add up to problems.. if you can get a carbon hulled boat get it.. it will save you money in the long run.. and when you get one give me a shout and i'll give you my rigging tips...
cheers. Dan.
ptostu

Post by ptostu »

Top job boat looks stunning it has inspired me now ,it makes my 8 look only half a project now I will have to sort some pics out
Stu.
Decending into insanity or is it an addiction

Int moth
Magnum 8 k3920
Mystery skoll
Skoll and crossbones
Shelly mk2 2825