Basket Case. magnum 9.9 international moth rebuild.

share hints, tips and experiences
makerofthings

Basket Case. magnum 9.9 international moth rebuild.

Post by makerofthings »

So, I thought it was about time I wrote a bit about the massive rebuild my moth has been undergoing over the winter.

I brought the boat last summer, as I have wanted to try to sail one since I was a kid,
to be honest, when I brought it I was a bit blinded by the possibility of owning it and ignored some tell tale signs of moth decay,
however at the time I really didn't know what I was looking at, the carbon bits were definitely exciting ,the boat was completely mad and the first few sails were absolute mayhem,
first time out I was on the water for about 30 minutes before the constant capsizing and exhaustion got the better of me,
falling of the wing onto the hull I punched a hole in the side and proceeded to sink a little.
ImageImage
To get myself back onto the water I splatted some carbon over the the hole and beefed up the sides a little,
this worked fairly well for a while and I proceeded to sail all summer, managing to get to the stage where I could sail for a few hours with only a couple of dips..... my god it is fun! The acceleration is extraordinary, I hate to think what the foiling ones are like, you must have to completely recalibrate your idea of boatspeed.
over the course of the summer the hull started taking on a little water every time I went out and I traced the leak to the very bodged looking daggerboard case.
this looked like a bit of a pig to repair, and I figured the best way to do it was to make a hole in the side to get myself access for bog......

The hole got bigger, and bigger, and bigger, with me taking rotten internal structure out, and most of both sides , and sections of the bottom at both the stern and bow of the poor boat, I started to get a bit obsessive about finding rot and damp and managed to find some pretty much everywhere,
I ended up cutting back the top laver of ply on the flares as this was rotten and water had got into the foam core, I removed the foredeck, , and the bracing for the bridle, and most of the front bulkhead, and then finally cut back some nasty looking repairs on the wing tubes,
when I removed the wooden skins from the sides I made sure to leave as much of the carbon forming the rolled edge at the bottom of the hull as possible to make my job of lining everthing back up again as easy as possible, this proved invaluable..
What a mess! sadly I don't have any photo's of the hull at its most deconstructed, I think I was a little depressed by this time so didn't really want the memories...
ImageImageImage
I figured I had removed enough, I’m definitely one for removing everything in anyway dodgy in a rebuild situation,
I brought one sheet of gorgeous 1.5 mm ply from robbins timber then got started
First thing was new internal structure, this was made up from offcut bits of western red cedar , bent, pinned and glued into position , it got a new carbon front bulkhead
ImageImageImageImage
I put in the new daggerboard casing, made with a glass clothe lining and 1.5 mm ply sides, bogged that into place then over a few days stressed new sides onto the hull, ImageImageImageImageImage
The ply is absolutely incredible, it holds form and curve beautifully, and pulled into a great shape, i want to build a new moth with it in the not to distant......
I reinforced the tramp stringing holes with patches of carbon Kevlar cloth , then filled the void left from the removal of the flares foam core with expanding foam, cut it back then filled over with superlight filler, this I intend to top skin with carbon,Image
I replaced the foredeck with clearcoated 1.5mm ply,with a light glass cloth skinImageImageImageImageImageImage

God damn fairing..
I figured if I was going to all this trouble i should really do the job properly. So the fairing began.
There is an incredible amount of shape in the hull of a magnum 9.9, with lumps generated by the stressed ply floor, and the lowest part of the hull being wider than the corresponding waterline,
I sanded a huge amount of filler. Many late nights, finally getting to something that felt pretty good.ImageImage
After this the next stage was to skin it with something,
I figured carbon Kevlar was a good bet, I really want the boat to be tough enough to sail in big waves off Falmouth so it has to be strong, I also want other people to be able to have a go without the risk of breaking it,
I had brought a broken vac pump a while ago and have been eager to try it out, it took me about 2 hrs to get the cloth on wetted and bagged up, the pump was superb, and I have the best consolidated skin I could hope for, can’t weigh more than a kilo, and it makes a huge difference to the strength of the hull,
I’m now onto the stage of filling and final fairing the hull, I have the flares to finish, and the wing tubes to sort out, but the water is getting closer...
I need another session to write a little more, and upload some more photo's of the later processes, fairing, bagging etc, but this is going to have to do for tonight..
More to come. Dan.
makerofthings

Re: Basket Case. magnum 9.9 international moth rebuild.

Post by makerofthings »

all the rest of my photo's are here, with a couple of othere boats for inspiration.
enjoy. dan. https://picasaweb.google.com/1011054097 ... othRebuild
moggy

Post by moggy »

WOW
GP14 - 7
GP14 -ex 23
GP14 - 13796

Enterprise - 20059
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

You rebuilt that really well, from what looked like a small sagging mess, into that!!!!! It is amazing, your should feel proud :)
AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

That is a fantastic story. I'm not sure what I'm most impressed by - the re-build, or the learning to sail a Magnum 9.9 and the amount of swimming that goes with it!

Where do you sail her?
Rupert
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

Good grief, that's a huge amount of work. Makes my N18 rebuild a little easier to take [not that I'm finished yet]

Big up for the amount of effort that went into this renovation/rebuild.
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
makerofthings

Post by makerofthings »

Aahh, cheers all,
I'm not done yet... I reckon a few more weeks before she hits the water again, I have a few composite bits to make, and she needs a good coat of paint.. but she will get done.
I sail down at falmouth, mainly in the carrick roads, good winds and not to much swell, also, I can beach launch from restronguet and I only have to pay for car parking,
I am hoping to get up to roadford for the event there, and it will be good to sail against a Few other like minded souls, and after a little practice i hope to take part in the handicap racing at restronguet..
can't reccomend mothing enough, everyone should have a go at least, the rewards when it works far outweigh the slight dampness issues.
cheers. dan.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Great and really good to see.

However, that link didn't work for me.....is that me or is it not working?

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

Ed wrote:Great and really good to see.

However, that link didn't work for me.....is that me or is it not working?

eib

I get a 'page not found' message
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
SoggyBadger

Post by SoggyBadger »

I'm seriously impressed.
Best wishes

SB
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

What can I say!...Amazing.

The tricky thing with Moths is the light construction......much harder to repair delicate things i think.
I'm still thinking about how to tackle a few of the repairs on my E. Moth, whilst I bash on (literally) with the Scorpion......and the E.M. is a lot tougher and easier to repair than the magnum, so I'm very impressed.......well done! :)
Sami.
roger

Post by roger »

Great pics thanks for sharing.

I really have shed envy as well. :roll:
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

I also have a bit of shed envy.

Makes my potential N12 bail-out look positively wimpish - but a decent shed makes all the difference.

But there is no taking away from the fact that it is impressive work.

Cheers
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
kfz

Post by kfz »

nice work sir!
makerofthings

Post by makerofthings »

I think I should put a few pics of the current state of play up on here, the once brittle mess is now solid as a rock,.. much carbon,kevlar,primer and paint has made her fun again... hopefully going to be in the water next week, a couple of kilos lighter,leak free and as fair as dodgems..
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/6 ... directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/L ... directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/m ... directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/O ... directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/q ... directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/I ... directlink

I hope to get up to roadford in june, so would be great to see some other mothists, .. and everyone can watch me capsise the thing everytime I try to gybe...
cheers.Dan.