Moth Wombat 84

share hints, tips and experiences
Spiderman

Re: Moth Wombat 84

Post by Spiderman »

Hi Tom,
I have two tiller extensions for my Magnum 6, which is fairly similar to the Wombat, and they are both quite a bit longer than 1200mm. The aluminium one is 1550 mm and the carbon one is 1610mm.
1200 might be ok for the first couple of outings during which you may not get right out on the ends of the bars or as far forward as you will need to once you are sailing it properly upwind. The introduction of the rudder gantry moved the rudder and tiller further aft so the tiller extension needs to be correspondingly longer to enable the helmsman to reach without stretching when fully hiking at the front of the wing bars.
I must say that I am really impressed by your rapid rate of progress and the boat is looking really good already.
Regards
Ian M
corribee tom

Post by corribee tom »

Thanks for the comment and the advice on the tiller extension, think I may as well get a long one from the off then to get used to it, progress is slowing down now waiting for paint to dry, and Beulei Boat Jumble to hunt some fittings down :)
JimC

Post by JimC »

corribee tom wrote:...tiller extension, think I may as well get a long one from the off
Don't go buying a commercial one:-)
A UJ from the chandler and a landing net handle from the fishing shop will be better as well as well under half the price!
corribee tom

Post by corribee tom »

Thanks Jim good tip on where to get a long one ive got a friend who owns a golf club that puts golf grips on the end so should be able to knock a nice one up :D
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Tip for putting the rubber handle on:

push a compressor nozzle into the little hole at the end (if there isn't a little hole, make one). It will put a cushion of air between the rubber handle and the shaft and it will slide straight on. A trick I used to use with motorcycle grips.
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

I had a bad experience with a carbon landing net handle cut down as a tiller extension, as was all the rage a couple of years ago. It snapped off in my hand leaving shards - impossible to use on the way back. These things maybe cheap but the wall thickness is very thin.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
corribee tom

Post by corribee tom »

Cheers Neil something worth considering I think! :)
makerofthings

Post by makerofthings »

she is gonna be sweet , wish mine had been in such a good state when i got her... well dine on the progress... you are going to have a lot of fun learning her.. cheers. dan.
corribee tom

Post by corribee tom »

Thanks, yes it should be fun. got the wings and tramps on today and look good. I cant seem to get any more photos on at the moment for some reason though, but all is going to plan so far!
makerofthings

Post by makerofthings »

you ha e skipped well ahead of me !
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

corribee tom wrote:Thanks for the comment and the advice on the tiller extension, think I may as well get a long one from the off then to get used to it, progress is slowing down now waiting for paint to dry, and Beulei Boat Jumble to hunt some fittings down :)
http://www.uk-cherub.org/doku.php/tech/tiller_extension

http://www.carbonfibreshop.co.uk/carbon ... -c-76.html

Hope it helps!

Max
AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337
corribee tom

Post by corribee tom »

Cheers Max I had to go and pick up some alluminium tubing for oppie sprits today, so while i was there bought some thin diameter for the extension and cut it to length and sprayed it for fitting. Thanks for the links as Ill probably change to carbon eventually anyway!
Spiderman

Post by Spiderman »

Hi Tom,
Aluminium is probably best to start with anyway just in case you bend it over the wing bars during a capsize. They can usually be straightened a few times before they break and even a bent ally stick is better than a jagged carbon stump for getting you back to the beach! Once you are happier with your boat handling then carbon is the better choice as the lightness means less inertia when you are trying to move it a long way quickly during a tack or gybe.
How soon are you expecting to go for a maiden voyage?

Regards

Ian M
corribee tom

Post by corribee tom »

Hi Ian im hoping to get some fittings at Beuilea in 2 weeks time and allow the paint to harden fully. Im also going to change the sail setup so I can hoist it in a simular wat to dads old solo, as its easier for the harbour at Mersea. Im hoping as soon as possible really so maybe 2-3 weeks. I may try it with a mate whos just bought a foiler.
On a different subject does anyone no how to put some more photos of it with wings and rigged in a week or so, as it says quota reached for page? Tom
JimC

Post by JimC »

corribee tom wrote:. Im also going to change the sail setup so I can hoist it in a simular wat to dads old solo,
If she's set up with no halyard for rigging on her side I *really* strongly advise against changing it until you've spent time with the boat. I've lost count of how many people I've seen buy Cherubs and Moths, rig them up for main halyards because they think they are essential, and then rip the damn things off again after they've been to a couple of open meetings and discovered how much easier it is *in those boats* to not have the things. Just make sure you have ties on the trolley you can put on the wings so that you can tip her over and have the trolley come with the boat.

You'll also probably find that the tension of the halyard stuffs up the mast bend, and if the mast isn't set up for a halyard you can even compromise its strength.

If you can go to a Moth event before you take the boatout for the first time and watch how people set up their boats, get in and out and all the rest of it you'll save a lot of hassle: there are various tricks and knacks to getting in and so on that its best you know... If you can't manage that at least take a look at videos on you tube, the thin ones aren't significantly different.