Bleaching sycamore

share hints, tips and experiences
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Anyone know the best stuff to remove grey staining caused by water penetration from sycamore . Have used oxalic acid on mahogany very sucessfully but never bleached sycamore. Any ideas anyone ????
DJSpencer-Smith
chris

Post by chris »

rustins used to do a two part wood bleach. It can take the natural colour out of wood to some extent so fine for sycamore but would turn mahog paler. Don't know it's still available.
It was sold as a pack A and B . you paint on A leave it then B then A agian if I remember correctly.
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

http://www.rustins.co.uk/WBleach.html

Think this is the stuff?

There are loads of articles on bleaching wood on Google search
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

yup that is the stuff.

never had a great deal of joy with the stuff myself.....it is hard to keep it in one place....it goes on bleaching for ages after you wash it....cos it is two part, it is hard to know how far to go.

It is OK for bleaching a large area of wood to a 'white' type finish....but personally I have had little luck with it ....I used once bleaching an ash tiller....and it all went kind of white....lost all the colour totally.

Personally I would suggest using oxalic acid...and going carefully. It is so very easy to actually make the situation worse rather than better.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it