boat cover leaks

share hints, tips and experiences
thommo

boat cover leaks

Post by thommo »

I have a recent cover on my composite solo which winters outside. Where the stays go through there are holes without collars and this lets water in making a patch of the wooden deck wet all winter.
I am struggling to find a way of stopping or reducing this leak; so far I am putting a plastic bottle neck round the stay under the cover to try and lift the cover and redirect the water ,any other ideas welcome.
Stephen Hawkins

Re: boat cover leaks

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

How about cutting a rubber ball in half (I would say a tennis ball, but of the none hairy kind). Then drill a small hole in the centre of each half (an interferance fit round the shroud) and then cut to the outer edge. Put each half of the ball onto the shroud, just above the cover hole. What we are trying to achieve is to stop the water running down the shroud and onto the deck - the water goes round the outside of the ball onto the cover instead?

Sound plausible?
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
kfz

Post by kfz »

I dont think you can do much about it. Covers are going to leak somewhere just to many holes in them. A bit of water isnt going to do any harm if shes well protected. As long as the water can drain out and shes not sitting in it.
STEVERESERVE

Post by STEVERESERVE »

Hi,
do you sail all year round? if not then taking the mast down and buying or making a flat cover could be the way to go. Any boom up cover will let some water in, not a problem in the summer but can prove fatal in winter months :cry: .
Steve
thommo

Post by thommo »

Thanks for the suggestions, I was thinking the water comes down the side of the cover as well as down the stay so I will try the ball on the stay as well as propping up the cover. If that doesnt work I may take the mast down as I am a warm weather sailor. Yesterday was my first outing on the water which many of you may think sounds a bit soft.