Anyone up for a Veneer Swap Please?

share hints, tips and experiences
wilfbishop1

Anyone up for a Veneer Swap Please?

Post by wilfbishop1 »

Hi Guys,

I am in the final stages of renovation of my Fairey Duckling hull - sadly the repairs to the hull in the keelson & transom area were quite extensive and I decided tto go for an exact thickness veneer repair using excellent 2.5mm Khaya that I got from Capital Crispin Veneers that was previously Capital Veneers - highly recommended. I put up with the non-match situation on the outer surface of the hull as I intend to apply 2 pot polyurethane which from previous experience with Finn 197 seemed to work very well with excellent durability (aapologies to Fairey purists who would have varnished the hull).

However I will be stripping back & varnishing the interior and there are three small patches where standing water has done its worst and no amount of bleaching seems to take away the blackness - also there is delamination in these patches. So is anyone intersted in trading some matching Agba veneer for some of my Khaya veneer. I only have left three strips of 2.5mm Khaya size 120mm x 720mm which is about the quantity of Agba that I need for the interior repairs. I have to say that this 2.5mm material is perfect for repair of Fairey hulls as the thickness is aperfect match.

I do not exoect to have problems if the Agba is thinner than the ideal 2.5mm as I am sure that one or two plies of 0.25mm glass fabric placed under the Agba would enable one to get a flush surface with no loss of structural strength. I have made-up curved profile interior furnishing bits for my Freedom 21 cabin this way using veneer, glass fabric & epoxy and it works fine.

Anyway if I can encourage anyone with a bit of spare Agba to do a trade that would be perfect?

Cheers,

Wilf Bishop
Cornish Cormorant No 1 - DOROTHY - Next on the renovation list
Cornish Cormorant No 78 - CLARICE ANNIE
Fairey Duckling No 977 - DORA - Renovation in progress
Ed
Site Admin

Re: Anyone up for a Veneer Swap Please?

Post by Ed »

Hi Wilf,

I am afraid I don't have much Agba veneer in the workshop at moment. Well I do have a little but it is very very dry and has lost all its suppleness, so not really much use except for very small holes, for which I will keep it.

Sorry.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I might be able to help - Mr Ben will be able to tell us whether the veneer was anything near the colour of a Fairey hull, as he just used some on his Applecore. Thoughts, Ben?
Rupert
wilfbishop1

Post by wilfbishop1 »

Hi Rupert,

Any news about AGBA veneer please? Do you know if Robbins Timber in Bristol would sell me such a small quantity? I guess if they stock it in the typical format of long strips a few inches wide I could ask them to cut the strips into say 400mm lengths for ease of packing? Has anyone tried this approach with them?

Thanks,

Wilf
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I can post you some strips, but Agba colours vary a lot - the Fairey boats are quite golden compared to what I have, I think, but I can send you a few bits for you to try if you PM me your address.
Rupert