Epoxy or Balcotan

share hints, tips and experiences
Stephen Hill

Post by Stephen Hill »

Can anybody help with some advice please?

I managed to pop a joint between the keel and plank on my merlin at the weekend.

Normally, if it was warm I would use epoxy and fillers to repair the joint. However, the boat is outside and its cold and damp, so I was thinking of using balcotan but I have no experience of using it for this type of application.

Has anybody had any experience of using it for this type of application or am I setting myself up for problems in the future?

Thanks

Steve
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Balcotan is a foaming glue, so you will have problems stopping the joint being forced apart. I also worry that the wet in the joint will be trapped, so causing more problems later on. As a temporary repair, you would have problems getting the balcotan off to do the job properly in the warmer weather. Best bet, find a place under cover and dry the joint out and get the epoxy out... meanwhile, if you want to keep on sailing, stick it together with duck tape??!
Rupert
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Lots of stuff writen on Balcotan vs Epoxy in archives....so suggest you have a look.

But in general I agree with Rupert.

Balcotan is not so strong.....but 'can' work in lower temps....and in damper conditions. So it could be better.... I will presume that there is enough tension between keel and garboard to stop joint being forced apart, but if not you would need to screw, staple, tape it closed during setting.

My biggest worries are:

getting the glue into the joint.....it just does't soak in like epoxy....but does push itself in to some extent.

getting the joint clean before you put the glue in....cos you can't glue dirt very well.

getting it out again when you want to do it properly.

If boat is damp....and you can only partially dry....and you can clean joint out...and get glue in....then maybe its worth a try......but if you can dry it, then I think epoxy will do the jobe better.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Stephen Hill

Post by Stephen Hill »

Thanks Gents. Looks like OI have got to empty the garage now.

Steve